Cranks for Drag Racing

adamsmarshall

Drilling Crooked Holes
Alright I've read over a couple of the threads on weighting the cranks on pulling trucks and such and saw the comment about lightening them for drag trucks.

I do understand why you balance the motor and all that so we can skip that part.

What I'm wondering though is which is honestly better in a high horsepower drag truck.

No bear with me on this but I understand that the lighter crank will one reduce the weight of the truck which is one very key part of going faster in the 1/4 and two would be easier to spin from a stop, but even though a weighted crank would be harder to get moving initially wouldn't the inertia of a weighted crank launch you off the line harder and give you that little bit of advantage or would that extra weight just be at a dissadvantage as you climb through the gears abd gain rpm?

I'm assuming that would be the case but just wanted to clear things up

inertia = mass x velocity...

if you need more inertia on launch, rev it higher :)

a lighter crank will accelerate much better than a heavy one

killing me Marshall...

the cart is so far past the horse on this one it isn't even funny

Don't worry will. Just reading the others got me interested in it. It's probly gonna be 2 years for the trucks done after having to pay for a wedding and all. But no stone is going unturned on this build

Back