Crankshaft Wear???

Supersingle

The machine shop called me today and told me the crankshaft had some wear on it due to thrust. He was attributing it to either the converter ballooning or the converter not having enough space to float between the back of the it and the transmission. It has an ATS converter so I am kind of ruling out the ballooning theory. Have y'all had any issues like this?

the trust of the crank was worn or journals were worn due to thrust? if its journals i doubt it was due to thrust. if the crank thrust was worn it could have been to much thrust clearance to start with and it was slamming around or not enough. what was it set at when built?

On my 92 the thrust bearing broke one side stuck to the drain plug had .120 end play put in new bearings and its good to go

the trust of the crank was worn or journals were worn due to thrust? if its journals i doubt it was due to thrust. if the crank thrust was worn it could have been to much thrust clearance to start with and it was slamming around or not enough. what was it set at when built?

He was saying the thrust of the crank was worn. Apparently he's seen this on some high hp gassers he's built in the past and it's typically due to insufficient clearance between the converter and the transmission. I guess he's had to machine off part of the converter tabs to get adequate clearance. Are y'all measuring clearances before the converter's bolted into position?

I kinda doubt the engine just randomly thrusted. That is not a common issue with the Cummins :eek:

I've never heard of this issue before on a Cummins... I hope I didn't catch Swole's bad luck...:doh:

Back