Cummins heater grid wiring for Ford

fummins97

I need to hook up the heater grid on a 95 cummins motor in my 97 Ford, I have the solenoids and the heavy wire that connects the battery to the solenoids, but that's it. I can't remember exactly how I had wired it into my last fummins so I need some quick help. I need a simple diagram to show how to hook the solenoids to the grid using a momentary switch in the cab. Now to stop any useless posts, I do have a dodge manual that shows the wiring, but its for a DODGE, not my ford, and I am what I like to call a half assed electrical idiot, so please just explain how to hook it up or keep your comments to yourself. Thanks

ok, I've seen that a few times so I will ask. I've read you have to have a grounded solenoid, do you have a part number for one or way to tell? Do I need two or will one handle the power and draw? How did you wire it.....battery to left post, right post split two wires to both studs, and momentary switch hooks to the little middle stud on the solenoid?

I used one good heavy one I got from napa, mounted close to the batteries. It doesn't matter which side is in or out and push button to the little one.
I used a jumper across the two on the grid, I'll try to grab a pic or two for you.

Last edited:
My truck was a diesel to start with, so I used the glow plug wire to power the trigger on the Dodge grid heater solenoids. I did have to leave the temp sense wire disconnected so that the Ford glow plug control would cycle correctly.

My temp sense is in the rear port of the head and the Ford PCM is controlling it until I build a stand alone unit.

[ame="http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/Knoberman/media/IMG_20140101_085744700.jpg.html"]IMG_20140101_085744700.jpg Photo by Knoberman | Photobucket[/ame]

Last edited:
thanks for the pics, its funny, yesterday I went to see my old Fummins to see how I had done it on that one and the guy had one relay go bad so a friend hooked up a starter solenoid. So my only question now is, I have a brand new starter solenoid, but it has 2 little posts, which one do I hook the momentary switch to? Also found a set of the heavy wires from the dodge relays to the grid on ebay for $20 shipped.

2 small posts = 1 power , 1 ground, your choice but the BOTH need to be hooked to something.

backing up on this, I have the cummins relays. Also have the stock wires from the battery to relays, and from relays to heater grid. That leaves the four posts on the front of the relays, I want to hook up a momentary switch on the dash. Do I just run four wires from those posts to the switch and then ground the switch or can I jump across the posts and run one wire to the switch???

Power to one side of the control, power out, switch ground. Thats what you are asking?

Monkey Fist Rage

i'm asking about the four small posts on the relays, what are they for? I think one side f each is supposed to be wired to a switch, the other two posts wired to ground? maybe

I don't know for sure on that, the one I bought only has one. I couldn't find the part number, guess I threw away the box and receipt.

I don't know for sure on that, the one I bought only has one. I couldn't find the part number, guess I threw away the box and receipt.

i was asking about the cummins relays, they have two small posts on each of them. Think I got it figured out, i'll get some pics up for anyone that might need them for reference. thanks for the inputs.

one small post is 12v to turn relay on. Other is ground. Same for the other relay.

Back