cummin's in a H1 Hummer

Robts

Proud Fummins Owner
I was at silverlake Sanddunes and I saw a hummer h1 coming down the street and my ears could hear that cummins sound. It was the greatest thing I ever laid eyes on.......I hate the fact that they used to come with the old 6.5......That guy had it all together

I've heard rumors of a yellow 5.9 powered H1, haven't seen any pictures besides a fender shot with a cummins sticker on it, and i know there is a company that will do a cummins conversion for 20K plus, there is someone on youtube who did a 4bt cummins conversion in a H1, he has some cool vids on there too.
a 5.9 cummins powered H1 was my dream vehicle for years! i almost went out and bought a H1 just to plan the cummins swap..
i think a 4 linked F-650 with a cummins would rock!!

I've done some work on the black one, he's been wanting to selling it pretty bad, it was on ebay last year. It gets a lot of looks

Jon and I just wished he would've have picked up a 12 valve for it, but its fun to ride in.

I'm coming home this weekend, might make it over to check out any projects and talk turbos if you have some time. My truck is doing great!

I am a long time Cummins enthusiast and owner of Avalanche Engineering in Bayfield, Colorado. We specialize in custom Cummins installations into trucks and off road vehicles. I personally own a 1998 Hummer H1 and installed a 12 valve Cummins in it, ATS Stage 4 4L80E, TST Fuel Plate, Aurora 3000 Turbo and soon to be installed WaterBoy methanol injection.

Avalanche said:
I am a long time Cummins enthusiast and owner of Avalanche Engineering in Bayfield, Colorado. We specialize in custom Cummins installations into trucks and off road vehicles. I personally own a 1998 Hummer H1 and installed a 12 valve Cummins in it, ATS Stage 4 4L80E, TST Fuel Plate, Aurora 3000 Turbo and soon to be installed WaterBoy methanol injection.

Sounds like waaaay too much fun!

Hows that 4L80E working for ya? I've never heard of anyone actually running that tranny behind the 6b. Lots of talk but never done.

DWitcher said:
Hows that 4L80E working for ya? I've never heard of anyone actually running that tranny behind the 6b. Lots of talk but never done.

I used a factory Cummins flywheel housing and flex plate to adapt the 6B to the 4L80. We are now offering a billet flywheel housing and flex plate that is much stronger and makes for a simplier installation.

The transmission was built by ATS and has the new 5 star converter. I am not making huge amounts of power but I am not getting any slipage once the converter locks and the transmission rarely gets above 150 degrees, even when towing.

Steve, you say your top speed is limited with a 2.56 R&P and 1.96 in the reduction boxes. How about tire size and RPM vs MPH at top speed? Thanks.
BTW did ATS give you a max input spec for the 4L80E?

Last edited:
DWitcher said:
Steve, you say your top speed is limited with a 2.56 R&P and 1.96 in the reduction boxes. How about tire size and RPM vs MPH at top speed? Thanks.
BTW did ATS give you a max input spec for the 4L80E?

Tires are 41" in diameter and I am running about 2000 RPM at 60 MPH. ATS said the converter was good for 2000 ftlbs. But I don't know about the rest of the tranny.

Back