Custom A-1000 fuel system

bigred13

I am looking into getting rid of my troublesome factory lift pump and had an idea but need some guidance as I am new to going any deeper than chip, intake and exhaust(been lurking as a guest for years on mainly powerstroke forums just never signed up). But haven't seen anybody go indepth as to how a one off custom system would be built. My idea starts with a sump on the tank then to a Baldwin 1311 filter head with a water seperator then the A-1000 pump to another filter head with a filter on to an aeromotive 13212 regular that I would just tie the bypass into the factory fuel line. My questions are am I completely off base with my design or on the right track? And how would I wire the new pump in?

sent while hardly working

Keep the filters/ separators downstream of the pump. You could run a strainer upstream, but nothing that produces any restriction.

Here is how mine is set up.
20130518_170249_zps96fb81da.jpg

100micron prefilter then a 10micron filter base.

Keep the filters/ separators downstream of the pump. You could run a strainer upstream, but nothing that produces any restriction.

Areomotive requires you run a -10 prefilter and pick up line or pump failure and loss of pump performance would suffer.

Areomotive requires you run a -10 prefilter and pick up line or pump failure and loss of pump performance would suffer.

What filters are you using? I was planning on using-10 through the whole system.

I ran the A-1000 on my old 7.3PSD set up.It works great,but I would suggest using the relay set up for controlling the pump.My pump only last 10-15k before burning up.I had it ran through a Painless Wiring fuel relay kit also.The Aeromotive pump controller helps limit voltage to the pump.This is important when used on the street.This is my experience with the A-1000 others may say something different though.

I ran the A-1000 on my old 7.3PSD set up.It works great,but I would suggest using the relay set up for controlling the pump.My pump only last 10-15k before burning up.I had it ran through a Painless Wiring fuel relay kit also.The Aeromotive pump controller helps limit voltage to the pump.This is important when used on the street.This is my experience with the A-1000 others may say something different though.

Are you talking the speed controler or something else?

Yes you would want a pump controller if it was going to be street driven. Fuel Labs have the speed controller built into the pump i believe.

Yes you would want a pump controller if it was going to be street driven. Fuel Labs have the speed controller built into the pump i believe.

Street driven is all it will be what fuel lab pump are ya'll using?

Ok cause the one I saw was $335 which puts that out of my legitimate price range

If you have more time and money, read up on PWM and microcontrollers. You could most likely make your own controller for cheap with some basic programming.
They might have gotten into laplace transforms with theirs stuff, but I bet just a basic pulse width would do the trick and probably be better for the pump than a voltage regulator.

^The more I write, the more I kinda feel like looking into this as well.

Yes, but you want it to be a higher micron rating to keep from causing a restriction. I.e. strainer.

anyone ever made there own pump controller? Or ran the aeromotive version? I am in the process of either buying or figuring out how to make one. Lad I work with is an electronics technologist so he may be able to help me out. Just curious what others have used or made.

Was the type of regulator a bypass or deadhead?

Back