Custom twin turbo design

BW Motosports

JUST SOME BROKE KID
I have an idea for a custom turbo setup. It would involve reversing the headers and blowing the exhaust gases twards the front of the truck. Then using 2 of the same size turbos (I was thinking 42's). Then u would have 4 cylinders powering each turbo. I was figuring on a blow of valve on each turbos boost tube. Then splicing the 2 boost tubes together to go throw the intercooler. Just an idea i had today while lookin at my trucks engine. If anybody has seen this done please let me know. May be somthin I look into when i get outta boot camp. :ft:

Yea banks does it. I've also seen a few other trucks run it as well. i've also seen manifolds flipped with running a single in the place where the twin turbo would normally go.

Would be a cool setup,and you could save a few coins fabing the intake manifold yourself.

One of my friends is planning on doing it to his 2001 dmax using 2 hx35s, he has the skills to do it but I don't think he's got the right turbos in mind.

I have never seen this design before but im gonna look at banks and see how they built theres. As far as the intake manifold goes i was lookin at the banks big hoss intake manifolds.. When i build mine i wanna make it roadable, somthin im gonna look at doin when i get outta boot camp. thanks for the replies. :thankyou2:

One of my friends is planning on doing it to his 2001 dmax using 2 hx35s, he has the skills to do it but I don't think he's got the right turbos in mind.

If he does it those turbos are to small. I think with my setup im gonna do 2 garrett GT4708R's, free float and then build two blowoff valves into the system. The demensions for the GT4708R are ind. 80.7mm/ exd. 108.00mm. Wheel diameter is 92.7mm trim is 82. My horse power goal is 800hp with a fully built engine on just diesel.

Last edited:
And yes i know the turbos i have in mind are a little large for my hp goal but eventully im gonna buy another lbz for a dd and turn this truck into a puller or a dragger

Those will spool like cr@p I would think, not enough airflow. Standard compounds would be cheaper, more practical for a street truck, and a lot easier unless you are an excellent fabricator. Also how you gonna work a blowoff valve on a diesel?

Im hoping that some off the pro's will jump in and set me strait here. This is not somthin that im deff gonna do. just an idea. And those turbos are just an idea. A 42 would probly be more practical

No expert here but I would think smaller than a 42 would be needed.

Last edited:
Ill still build my own. Then u have the feeling of acomplishment. Not the feeling that u have just spend 5K and have the same thing as a couple thousand other people. Ill have plenty of time to design and brain storm. Chit might as well go all the way and incorparate a supercharger to. :evil

i was looking at running twins that way to but realized spool up would be just like running a large single which i am having a headach with right now so im going to do a compound twin kit i think. i agee you would need way smaller turbos i would think closer to half the flow of a gt40-42 on each side.

I dont know how im gonna do it, what size turbos will be run or if turbos will be the only means of forced induction.

GT42s on a full tilt motor still have a hard time spooling up when ran on individual banks of the motor. You would probably have to be down at around a 38 or maybe a 4088 if you have enough fuel to push them. Now if you incorporate a supercharger 42's will work great but your talking above and beyond a 5K budget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4zWU-tUybQ&feature=related

Back