Cutting a groove into a steel plate ~or~ How to seal two flat steel plates

boom or make them out of 1 piece.

As for your problem, depending on how thick the two plates are even once machine flat they will likely warp again. I would probably make a graphite gasket or use a high temp silicone o-ring to seal them off.

Damit how do I show a pic with out photobucket

So here's what I got, two half-inch thick plates of steel.

One bolts to the manifold.

One bolts to the turbo.

Then they bolt together.

I had home-made tin gaskets in there with plenty of copper goop, and I think they were sealing good enough, until the top two bolts holding the adapter plate together started backing off. At one point there was like an 1/8" gap between my adapter plates. I don't think it ever sealed back up after tightening. I think I'll need to use some thread locker or lock washer in there next time.

But also, the adapter bolted to the turbo is super pitted, much more than I remember. So I think I'll need to get some new plates made for next time.

Any machinists out there want to make me new plates? These were the prototype, I know how to make them better next time.

Or if anybody has a better idea I'm all ears.

I also bought an 1/8" thick piece of copper plate to use as a gasket in between the two plates, instead of my tin gasket. I'll see how it works. (So far, I think I should've bought a 1/16" thick piece of copper.)

I also have no idea how I was going to groove things. Not enough space in between bolts to do that, wouldn't have worked, unless I put the groove way around the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20200624_150844557.jpg
    IMG_20200624_150844557.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200624_150857634.jpg
    IMG_20200624_150857634.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200624_150944480.jpg
    IMG_20200624_150944480.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200624_151007130.jpg
    IMG_20200624_151007130.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
glue sand paper to a piece of glass. That is about as flat as you can get something at home with limited tools. As mentioned earlier as well use very little silicon. Too much creates a rubbery layer. Youre trying to fill pores, voids and scratches. Relying on it to fill gaps in a hot pressurized environment is no bueno.

Is this what you need CustomFabShop.com | Custom Automotive Fabrication

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well where the heck did this come from? Looks like what I want. Has anybody used one before?

I'm going t4i turbo to t4 manifold, would have to think a little to see if that'd make a difference.

glue sand paper to a piece of glass. That is about as flat as you can get something at home with limited tools. As mentioned earlier as well use very little silicon. Too much creates a rubbery layer. Youre trying to fill pores, voids and scratches. Relying on it to fill gaps in a hot pressurized environment is no bueno.

So is the goal to not use enough silicone for it to squirt out when tightened up? I think my pitting is to the point that there's no way sand paper is going to fix it.

Last edited:
Back