D80 carrier bearings

zstroken

For $$$ your name here
I took the rear apart on my truck tonight, and the driverside bearing pretty much fell off of the carrier. There isn't any evidence of it spinning on the carrier, the bearing looks good. I have another bearing need to see if possibly it was a set up bearing, I mean that is what it feels like almost.

Suggestions? I have another bearing(that I have to find) to see if this is the case. Anybody think I can get it welded up, and returned? Do they make an undersize bearing?

Some of the bearings that we put on when I worked at Dana would press on hard, and others would be easy. The diff cases were usually the problem.

Yea me either. I know spinning the bearings can be an issue. This one just doesn't look like it has spun, no heat, no galling, still see marks where it is pushed on/pulled off.

I had one do that on my 2wd once. Didn't hurt anything. I just took a dotter punch and went around the carrier then pressed the bearing on. Didn't just fall off anymore.

Lynn

I am gonna get a new bearing and see if it is tighter. It just doesn't look like this was spun.

Dan,

Thats just the way mine was on my detroit. I know they was pressed on, because I did it. When i changed to 513, the drivers side was loose on the carrier. I blame case spred for these coming loose, allowing a awkward loading of the bearing.

WIth it being submerged in oil I would not expect to see galling or heat marks.

What kind of carrier is it?

I Pulled my detroit all apart and cleaned it up real good, then heated it in the oven to 350 then tig welded it up. The machine shop had to grind it, they could not cut it. But it looked brand new when I sold it.

We also have a place that can metalize (spray weld), that can be cut.

We see bearings spin on the Cats all the time if the side preload is not set up tight enough.

Just a few thoughts.

Adam

ARB, new side piece from ARB is $102. I may go that route. First plan is to get a new bearing. I agree that it is from loading, I don't know if case flex causes it though. I have heard about this before, with other axles also. Some have tigged the inner race to the carrier, which is what I might look at doing. Maybe even putting the bearing on and drilling two places where a pin can be driven to keep it from rotating. I think I might lean toward just a spot weld or two on it.

You could always just use some bearing retaining loctite. I've never used it on a carrier but I have in other applications.

I have some retaining locktite, I kind of suspect that it wouldn't hold as easily as this slides off.

I blame case spread for these coming loose, allowing a awkward loading of the bearing.

Bingo. Happens a lot.

You could always just use some bearing retaining loctite. I've never used it on a carrier but I have in other applications.

This has been done. Also you can weld up the carrier and machine it back off to allow for press fit (you can go back to factory spec or go bigger for tighter fit).

This has been done. Also you can weld up the carrier and machine it back off to allow for press fit (you can go back to factory spec or go bigger for tighter fit).

That is what I am leaning towards, or just having it tigged on.

Back