Dana 70 or 80

smoken02

I think the stock rearend in my truck is the 70. It has the 3:55 gears. Is it worth building this rearend or would it be better to find an 80? Im planning on pulling in a 3.0 charger class.

You should have the Dana70 in yours. I think all 3/4 ton autos had them. Dont waste your time trying to build the 70. They just wont take the abuse. Definitely start looking for a Dana80 to swap in.

80, you will need a good locker or spool, and some good axles.

depending on what 3.0 class you are planning on running with you would be money ahead to put in a rockwell. to be competitive you will have to make enough power a dana 80 will not hold up. Black crow is a good example he had the power to be very competitive but broke the rear end alot. If you do want to go with a dana 80 I have 3 for sale one is built w/37spline axles and a spool.

I wouldn't waste my time with a 70. The time and money you will stick into it just aren't worth it.

We also have a fully built 80 for sale. All the info on it is here.

Well that answers that question. Thanks guys and gals. How about the front end?

Put in an ARB and you should be good. The 00+ have the 32 spline axles and they hold up pretty well.

Yes. If it is a puller only you can see if you have the CAD(central axle disconnect) and if you do you could weld the spider gears on the front end.

FYI manifold is enroute.

Im not real wild about welding on hardend gears. You cant run a regular locker in the front?

Nice thing about a detroit locker is that it is one less thing to have go wrong. (forget the switch,air pump malfunction, ect.)

dodges with autos came with dana 70 and manual came with dana 80s and i need to find me an dana 80 broke my 70 other the weekend

Anyone with an 80 for sale have a passenger side brakeline they want to sell? For a disc brake 80 that is....

i broke my 70 on my second pull snapped the pinoin gear.im running a 10.25 sterling still looking for a CHEAP 80. the sterling has held up to 6 pulls knock on wood.

Back