Dana 80 long standing problem

Sawmillman

Maybe someone here can give me some advice on my dana 80.It started a couple years age it started breaking or loosing axle bolts.In that period of time I have went through 2 sets of hub bearings (This only happens on the drivers side),One set seized on the axle tube and got fixed.As of today it leaks and still loosens or breaks the floating axle bolts on the drivers side HELP before I go nuts.:nail:

Maybe someone here can give me some advice on my dana 80.It started a couple years age it started breaking or loosing axle bolts.In that period of time I have went through 2 sets of hub bearings (This only happens on the drivers side),One set seized on the axle tube and got fixed.As of today it leaks and still loosens or breaks the floating axle bolts on the drivers side HELP before I go nuts.:nail:

Maybe the housing is bent?

get rid of that one and buy mine![/QU LOL Ha Ha I was just looking at that before I posted this 4 hour drive isn't that far Pm me with the price I'll get in contact with you about maybe picking it up.

this is a long shot but i have seen issues with the differential causing the axle to be thrusted out. it may not be a bad idea to pull the cover and check the diff just to cover the bases. is the axle single or dual wheel?

we curbed a tire really hard once, and had axle studs as well as the floating axle bolts start shearing off a few weeks later because there was a very slight bend in the axle spindle.

Although extremely slight - that wobble worked the bolts till they break

well a little up date still haven't figured out the problem and the pasenger side started the same thing a few weeks ago goning to pull the diff cover next week.What kinda tolerances am I looking at for the bearings?Thanks for the info seeker I'll look into that becouse the truck hit a covert hard but that was on the pasnger side and the drivers side is what is loosing up.

yeah i would put money on a bent axle. i would pull both axle shafts and look down the tube. see if all the circles line up, meaning the bearings on the carrier, spindles and tubes will all look like circles. see if they are all evenly spaced, if you have a bent housing you should be able to see it, even if its just a little.
good luck.

yeah i would put money on a bent axle. i would pull both axle shafts and look down the tube. see if all the circles line up, meaning the bearings on the carrier, spindles and tubes will all look like circles. see if they are all evenly spaced, if you have a bent housing you should be able to see it, even if its just a little.
good luck.

Easy way to check for a bent axle is run it jacked up and check for a wobble at the tires. A small amount is not unusual and does not always cause problems. Bent housing is another issue and more serious.

Easy way to check for a bent axle is run it jacked up and check for a wobble at the tires. A small amount is not unusual and does not always cause problems. Bent housing is another issue and more serious.

that would only work on a semi-floating axle not full floating like we have in our trucks. the wheel rides on the spindle and bearings so the axle shaft could be all bent to piss and never make the wheel wobble unless the bearings or spindle is jacked.

i'm still putting money on a bent axle tube or more likely a bent spindle. like seeker1056 said he bent one hitting a curb. i seen them bent by getting in a small crash or even out four wheeling and coming down on a rock to hard. another think is how are you putting the axle shafts back in? are you using the proper bolts, locktite and torquing them to specs? they can work them self loose if not installed proper and brake bolts. just a thought.

Back