Delivery valve modification

Ken in AZ

ill-tempered
As you can see in my sig I am not new, I've got the basics at least so I think.

Here is a MS Paint picture of what I'm talking about. I've searched post after post here and all the picture links are dead, so....here goes

The picture is my rendering of a stock 181 DV that is in my truck on the LEFT and on the right is what I want my machinist to do to it.

It may be hard to tell, but I want to shave the bottom side of the valve down at a 45* angle and leave approx 50% of the flat land area left up top.

In my mind this will allow more fuel than the stocker, but keep the smoke fairly controllable.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Reason I am proposing this is because I can clear up 47psi rather easily and I think I need more fuel. To date I have not checked my fuel pressure or cleaned the heater/fuel screen but Ken at TAD says my turbo is good for 55psi

thanks
Ken

Attachments

• delivery valve modify.bmp
    72.6 KB · Views: 326
Here is a comparison pic of different valves. I think the one with the "?" is a 191.

Attachments

• dvscollectfu1.jpg
    dvscollectfu1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 202
I have the 191s and there is definitely more fuel! I am running a 40/3b and they still dont clean up at wot.

Just find the flat spot on the ring under the seat. That is where the fuel flows thru. Grind the flat spot a little bigger.

Smokem said:
Keep the abrupt end in injection pressure with a 90* edge with a 0.5mm shoulder on a stock delivery valve with the large seat, they clean up well.

so just to be sure this is what you mean and keep the 181 holders?

Attachments

• delivery valve modify 90deg.bmp
    72.6 KB · Views: 289
So thats why the full cuts will never clear up and cause so much heat? because they have no shoulder to stop the fuel?

so you need to leave 0.5 mm on the shoulder as a minimum? cant you also modify the 4 little blade things/fins and achieve more flow that way also? In the picture dodge 359 posted the one thats labeled as the 022 delivery valve, it looks like the fins have been ground at a 45 degree angle.

Last edited:
teddybear said:
so you need to leave 0.5 mm on the shoulder as a minimum? cant you also modify the 4 little blade things/fins and achieve more flow that way also? In the picture dodge 359 posted the one thats labeled as the 022 delivery valve, it looks like the fins have been ground at a 45 degree angle.

I see what you mean at the bottom, but what I think would be more important would be the depth of the grooves and the diameter of the lower portion of the valve before the fins....check out this picture...

Attachments

• delivery valve modify 90deg and shave.bmp
    72.6 KB · Views: 257
Smokem said:
The delivery valve listed as an 022 is a 191. The 022 and 191 valves themselves are different than the stock component, but the shoulder material is what changes flow.

Really...I'm pretty sure that part of the picture is something I posted, and I'm REAL sure they say 022 on the top!

BUT, since you know a whole lot more about this subject than me, I'll check as soon as my pump comes back;)

Chris

I like my .022s better than my lazer cuts. The power was up a touch with the LCs but the EGTs werent worth it.

Smokem said:
The set of 022's I had were taller on the valve cross section but not tapered, they may have been modified that way. When it boils down to it delivery valves are simple, don't put too much thought into modifying them, from what I have seen the 191 and 022 are quite similiar.

OK...Will still double check, and take some new pics to make sure:D

moneymaker44 said:
SMokem Knows his DV's trust me :)

I know;)

Chris

Here Some Pictures It Took Last Night Lazar Cut I Took Out They Are With 181 Holders ,,, And Installed 191 PA020115.JPG

PA020113.JPG

PA020111.JPG

PA020110.JPG

PA020109.JPG

What would happen if you just put a 191 in a 181 holder? Or is that what you are doing?

Explain in sombrero-friendly terms how the seats make a difference in DV selection? Is it seat height? Seat bevel?

Thanks, I'd heard it before and hadn't figured it out yet.

Signature600 said:
OK...Will still double check, and take some new pics to make sure:D

I know;)

Chris

Yeah the pic posted, i put it together....

they where from Chris, and he said they where they are 022. he took a pic of em on a red piece of cloth, i just monochromed it! ...whatever

when going bigger DV's just dont go too big! ive found out some stuff too!
(i grind my own)

Back