Diesel 5000rpm tach?

chadc

Anybody know of any 5000rpm tachs for diesels? I cant find anything but the 2 5/8 one from autometer. Im looking for a 5in preferably with a shift light but cant find one

No need to be a smartass. Not going in something that had a tach before. That one requires modifications to the balancer or flywheel. Not looking to make the plate it requires to do it unless its my last option. I know there has to be better ones out there.

No need to be a smartass. Not going in something that had a tach before. That one requires modifications to the balancer or flywheel. Not looking to make the plate it requires to do it unless its my last option. I know there has to be better ones out there.

I found one in less than 20 seconds by just typing it into Google, I'd say that's a pretty good reason to be a smartass. Here, want some more help?

Let me google that for you

I looked and found that one also. It requires making a plate for the balancer. Thats not what im looking for. Need someone that has actually installed an aftermarket tach in a diesel. Thanks tho

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Your probably not going to find a tach that doesn't require you to put a ring on either the flywheel or your balancer. That shi**y attitude won't get you very far on here either. All he did was try to help if you there was no need for name calling.

Either have your balancer machined or build a small bracket to hold your tach pickup over your balancer bolts. Not a major task either way. I spent 15 minutes and welded up a small bracket .

Thanks for the help guys, i think im gonna take my fluidamper off and put it on the mill and put 2 more slots in it for the pickup

I think you're crazy to machine a perfectly good balancer. I'd do as others mentioned and make it pick up off the balancer bolt heads.

You can also get tach pick up off the alternator brushes.This requires a large hose clamp to hold the pick up.I used the Dakota Digital,as Jason said,with a 8000rpm gas tach,cheaper than diesel tachs.It is a very accurate set up.

Milling the fluiddampner is ok, but still gives poor readings. if you mill the grooves, install magnets in the grooves for the pickup.

I ran a autometer tach off my fluid damper in the altered. I drilled and installed roll pins 90 degrees apart. Made a bracket that holds the pickup. Never had a issue with it. Isspro has a alternator style pickup in a small gauge package.

Back