Do any of the converter shops use custom built parts?

mondtster

Like the title says, I'm curious to hear if anybody knows whether or not any of the big name converter shops in the game are designing/using custom parts.

Anybody use custom designed and/or built pumps and turbines?
Custom stators?

As far as I know, everybody is looking for you to send a core in. Is every converter built out of a modified, stock core?

I have some converter ideas that I think I'd like to try, but I want to get a vague idea of what has already been tried and/or proven to work. No sense in going down a dead end path.

Phil Taylor (Slowpoke) Diesel Performance Convertors has done some custom stuff...Not sure what all he does but he did show me some things he was doing..

His shop is in Jeff Garmon's shop....PM me if you need either of there numbers...You can discuss this he him directly..

Alot use modified stock stators, some use custom stators. Most reuse the parts of the convertor is why. Some will reuse the spline hub, some won't.
Goerend used to have a billet stator, it was a great stator, it was very tight, but it was pricey and I think he found that not many people would pony up the extra cash, when similar results could be had for much less.

Good luck getting specifics, but about the only thing stock on most are the hub and turbine cover.

Thanks for the responses guys. Zstroken, that is pretty much what I was expecting to hear.

Has anybody tried a smaller, ultra efficient pump and turbine yet for a high stall application? I suspect that it would help out quite a bit.

Are you referring to the transmission pump, or something inside the convertor as a pump?

Back