Do i need aftermarket retainers and keepers

REALTRUCK

clean and lean
Hi, my question is do you have to use titanium valve spring retainers and 10 degree locks when using heavy duty valve springs? I have the peak diesel heavy duty valve springs [12 springs] and 4gsk for my 12 valve cummins. Its a daily driven truck and 4000 rpm will be seen once in awhile. i researched and some say titanium retainers are not recommended for the street. and some say the stock retainers will pull through with h/d springs. i know theres a lot of guys with h/d valve springs and 4gsk daily driven. What retainers and keepers are you guys using? Thanks

Hi, my question is do you have to use titanium valve spring retainers and 10 degree locks when using heavy duty valve springs? I have the peak diesel heavy duty valve springs [12 springs] and 4gsk for my 12 valve cummins. Its a daily driven truck and 4000 rpm will be seen once in awhile. i researched and some say titanium retainers are not recommended for the street. and some say the stock retainers will pull through with h/d springs. i know theres a lot of guys with h/d valve springs and 4gsk daily driven. What retainers and keepers are you guys using? Thanks

Hamilton has the chrome moly retainers and locks and they're recommended for the street. I just ordered the beehive springs and those.

Sent from my paperweight

I have 60 pound springs and stock retainers. Mine hasn't seen 4k but i know of a lot of guys running the same setup

I also have the Hamilton #165 beehive 12v springs. I like mine. Fore the price of the titanium keepers, I would spend a little bit more and get the hole spring kit from Hamilton.
They are far better than #60 pound springs. Call Hamilton, they will explain it to you.

My stock ones were starting to pull through after a year with 60# springs, to the point where they were stuck and had to be hit harder than usual to knock them out. I changed them out of fear when I went to heavier springs.

My stock ones were starting to pull through after a year with 60# springs, to the point where they were stuck and had to be hit harder than usual to knock them out. I changed them out of fear when I went to heavier springs.

^^ Guess I need to take a look at mine than lol

I had the rack stick and ruin a motor. It ran for about 20 to 30 seconds wide open with 4000 gsk. Some of the valves had almost pulled threw the stock retainers in that amount of time. The tops of the valves are below the retainer.

How many rpm where you running? I'm guessing this wasn't just a dd street truck lol

Back