Double O-rings

Timing? Sorry, I'm probably not helping answer your thread question. Just seems like orings and good clamp usually hold pretty dang good. But I guess Will was also having problems with orings holding on the junker too. I don't remember if he figured out something else or not

Sent from phone

Timing was 26.

Last I read, Will was getting tired of blowing head gaskets and his engine is out, maybe getting fire-ringed.

O-rings do work well, my last engine was over 800hp and made lots of passes with no problems at all. Just stepped this build up a few notches, and it seems to be a little too much.

Yeah. I'd do 625's whatever you do but that's just me. I hated blowing the money but it was worth it. I had h11 studs before and the 625s just torque down solid as hell compared to them. Like I said before, I'll be giving it the test in a few weeks, timing will around 30 and pump maxed, hoping for over 900. I'm actually a bit worried now lol

Sent from phone

Are you sure you can't cut fire rings still? Might get lucky and have it land where the oring is/ was?

I am hoping my 625s and Firerings head and block with handle 1000 with stock 286210 compression

I simply pulled the engine down and had the block machined flat... it only took .010" to get it flat.... it was pretty bad.

Also, my oring protrusion was a little too low so with the fresh cut block, I was able get protrusion back in the .015" range to see if that will help. I had to cut quite a bit off the pistons to get cam clearance so I can run a stock head gasket again. I'm a week or two from being finished so we'll see how long it holds up.

The last gasket held 5 pulls on the dyno before spitting out oil and coolant. The gasket before last held about 40 dyno pulls, then 4 or 5 passes down the track, then let go on the dyno at a dyno event held after the drag racing.

If mine blows this time, I'm going to firerings and going to do a whole new engine at that point, I'm ready for a reliable engine setup so I can focus on new turbo(s), suspension tuning, and just racing...

Yeah. I'd do 625's whatever you do but that's just me. I hated blowing the money but it was worth it. I had h11 studs before and the 625s just torque down solid as hell compared to them. Like I said before, I'll be giving it the test in a few weeks, timing will around 30 and pump maxed, hoping for over 900. I'm actually a bit worried now lol

After getting things cleaned up last night and seeing how bad I actually blew the gasket (cylinders 1,2,3 and 5), I do plan on going with the 625s. Part of what really bugs me, is I thought I had a pretty soft tune on it with only 26 degrees and the plate most the way back.

Are you sure you can't cut fire rings still? Might get lucky and have it land where the oring is/ was?

I am hoping my 625s and Firerings head and block with handle 1000 with stock 286210 compression

Already checked, standard size firerings won't work, the O-ring groove is pretty deep too. With 625s and firerings you're probably good to go.

Is your compression higher on this motor than before.

Yes, quite a bit.

I simply pulled the engine down and had the block machined flat... it only took .010" to get it flat.... it was pretty bad.

Also, my oring protrusion was a little too low so with the fresh cut block, I was able get protrusion back in the .015" range to see if that will help. I had to cut quite a bit off the pistons to get cam clearance so I can run a stock head gasket again. I'm a week or two from being finished so we'll see how long it holds up.

The last gasket held 5 pulls on the dyno before spitting out oil and coolant. The gasket before last held about 40 dyno pulls, then 4 or 5 passes down the track, then let go on the dyno at a dyno event held after the drag racing.

If mine blows this time, I'm going to firerings and going to do a whole new engine at that point, I'm ready for a reliable engine setup so I can focus on new turbo(s), suspension tuning, and just racing...

I am glad that I held off going to the dyno and went to the track first. That would have really sucked blowing it on a dyno without even making a pass. At least I can look back on a fairly decent pass, especially considering the blown gasket.

I have had good luck with Orings. Protrusion and ring placement is key. Fire rings are a step up but I don't recommend them for a daily driver.

After getting things cleaned up last night and seeing how bad I actually blew the gasket (cylinders 1,2,3 and 5), I do plan on going with the 625s. Part of what really bugs me, is I thought I had a pretty soft tune on it with only 26 degrees and the plate most the way back.

You must be running a 13mm now?

Sent from phone

what did you do to raise compression so much on this engine?

You must be running a 13mm now?

Sent from phone

Yeah, I had a mild 13mm built from an old parts pump I had laying around. Fueling seems to start where the old 12mm left off.

what did you do to raise compression so much on this engine?

The 210 pistons already have pretty high compression to start with. Go .020" oversize, it get's a little higher. Deck it and it get's a little higher still. I also ceramic coated the combustion chamber, valves and pistons (a couple of extra coats in the bowls), that took up another cc or so. I cc'd everything while putting it together and came up with 18.1:1. My PTV is pretty tight though. Glad to see there had been any contact when I pulled the head.

Yea I am standard with .0085 piston to walk and .020 over gasket. So should be a bit lower. If needed I will take some off the piston this winter

Back