Dr. Performance Staging Limiter

Jason, what do you mean hobbs for an oil light?

The shift light will be RPM activated, right?

In just about all race vehicles there are 2 things you need to be told about, all your other gauges are a distraction. OIL pressure, and when to grab the next gear.

So if oil pressure drops below a certain value, a big red light, shut down now.

At 3500rpm, yellow light, shift.

And you others don't say crap about "listen" or "feel". BS. that's about as accurate and consistent as a butt dyno. LOL

We don't have a shift light?

What would a shift light consist of, just a light that blinks on at a preset RPM?

(It isn't better to shift at peak boost?)

With a stock turbo and edge box back in the day of the Single disk ConFe. I have slips with 2.0. I could bark 4 (well 3) tires grabbing 3rd and at times 4th, leaving with about 1600-1800rpm if I recall correctly. Any more rpm's I heat that clutch up real fast.
In my truck, while drag racing, I've only got the stinky hot clutch smell once. That was after about 6 hot laps. (I was frustrated with traction and determined to get a decent pass)

So is this thing primarily aimed at the manual trans or auto trans crowd? Isn't Hogue's truck an auto? I know cranked dodge's is.

So it is able to maintain an actual RPM you set, regardless of load? Does it take an OBDII or crank sensor input? It may have already been mentioned, but what is the price?

This sounds like it would be cool on my Jetta. The version I daydreamed about would have just modified throttle input to a set level, this sounds like it has closed-loop feedback for RPM control.

Thanks,
Michael Pliska
Hogue's truck is an auto. The price is just shy of $300 I think. I posted it earlier in the thread.

In just about all race vehicles there are 2 things you need to be told about, all your other gauges are a distraction. OIL pressure, and when to grab the next gear.

So if oil pressure drops below a certain value, a big red light, shut down now.

At 3500rpm, yellow light, shift.
This is part of the reason I was never in a hurry to get gauges, because I don't pay attention to them 75% of the time. If I notice something weird, I check gauges, but I don't depend on them.

We don't have a shift light?

What would a shift light consist of, just a light that blinks on at a preset RPM?

(It isn't better to shift at peak boost?)
That's pretty much where I shift at now, when I feel it stop "pulling" I grab a new gear.

I thought I quoted the post that says "hear" and "feel" are bs....... I learned to drag race by what I was hearing and the way the car felt. I'm pretty damned consistent too. I'm not saying that a shift light wouldn't be beneficial, but I, for one, can produce almost identical time slips for all the passes I make in my truck.

Confe's don't smell so much. :)

I'm sure you can be consistant by feel and sound but never "fast". Feel to me is like waiting to "see" the green vs knowing when it will be green (watching the yellows come down). You feel the pull slow down you are behind the curve and wasting time in the gear. If you are racing a very loud gasser, you'll never hear correctly. On the street echos are different.

If you have time to look at gauges during a run...your truck is to slow. :hehe:

In all reallity if an oil light comes on during a run, the damage is already done.

Paul

In all reallity if an oil light comes on during a run, the damage is already done.

Paul

I have time still to watch the tach for 6th, but not much else. :)

As for the oil, most likely, but it could mean the difference between barrings and cylinder wall reworking vs a hole.

HAHA, good one! Or in my case, and I am sure yours too, after hundreds of passes in the truck you get so use to it that low 12's now feel like your running in the 15's. I think I could eat a sandwhich while making a pass :hehe:

HAHA, good one! Or in my case, and I am sure yours too, after hundreds of passes in the truck you get so use to it that low 12's now feel like your running in the 15's. I think I could eat a sandwhich while making a pass :hehe:

Remove that auto for a manual, then see if you can honestly stay that still. I'm in 6th right around the 1/8. That's a lot of work to do before you can sit back and relax for a few seconds, And I know I'm going to be running a bit more MPH then you this year, regardless of my ET. I bet my ET will still be 13.5 :)

I don't have an auto, but I can only imagine anything in the 11's or slower with a 4x4, you have no idea what "driving" is really about yet. make some boost, go when green and have a coke and a smile before lifting your right foot..

I realize from some videos that the 4x4 in the 10's and faster guys can have some interesting traction problems to drive though for the first 330' or so. After that, relax and figure out how the heck your going to stop :)

ah got yah now!!!

Man a shift light would be so nice!!! its gonna be adjustable right?
Two projects related to this: First one is a shift light & recall diesel tach. We've been testing it on 12V factory sensors (including one test guy with a CR who retrofitted the 12V sensor). Hopefully it will work with the CR's sensor as well, but we haven't tested it with one yet. The shift light will be programmable. We're shipping out Beta test units tomorrow.

The item I discussed with Jason is a small simple module which ties into OBDII to do shift-light (and many other) functions. That one is farther out, but is now on our project list.

I'm sure you can be consistant by feel and sound but never "fast". Feel to me is like waiting to "see" the green vs knowing when it will be green (watching the yellows come down). You feel the pull slow down you are behind the curve and wasting time in the gear. If you are racing a very loud gasser, you'll never hear correctly. On the street echos are different.
After thousands of dragstrip passes (heck, I've got around 300 on my truck alone), I've tried shifting by "feel" a few times, and found that I couldn't be as quick or consistent when going by feel. I have heard of people that can do it, but I'm just not that good!

I know what you mean, especially when I've been racing 1/8-mile then run 1/4 mile! In my gasser I run 5.90's in the 1/8, then to race 1/4-mile (was at a higher elevation track so only running 9.40) it seemed like forever to run the 2nd half of the track. I think there is an optimal level of "comfort" when racing - you want to be familiar enough that things are 2nd nature, but you don't want to become complacent and just "along for the ride".

If it doesn't make you smile and scare you just a little bit, then you're doing it wrong! :hehe:

I have over 2000 passes in diesel pickups. I agree with Cory, it does get a little boring past the 1/8 mile. The second 1/8 mile is normally consumed by adjusting the AC, finding a good radio station, making dinner reservations, and texting my girl friend. I have been known to wave to the other driver as we get close to the finish line. All in the name of good sportsmanship.

Paul

Remove that auto for a manual, then see if you can honestly stay that still. I'm in 6th right around the 1/8. That's a lot of work to do before you can sit back and relax for a few seconds, And I know I'm going to be running a bit more MPH then you this year, regardless of my ET. I bet my ET will still be 13.5 :)

I don't have an auto, but I can only imagine anything in the 11's or slower with a 4x4, you have no idea what "driving" is really about yet. make some boost, go when green and have a coke and a smile before lifting your right foot..

I realize from some videos that the 4x4 in the 10's and faster guys can have some interesting traction problems to drive though for the first 330' or so. After that, relax and figure out how the heck your going to stop :)

I rarely race 1/4 mile tracks, simply because I have 2 great 1/8 mile tracks near me, and to quote Charlie Stewart "the only reason to race 1/4 is to have the time to break more ****". I'm shifting to 5th just before I get to the stripe on the 1/8th, my truck only runs high 10's in the 8th, but I certainly don't have time to get bored or check gauges.

I think you have it backwards! We are talking drag racing here not sled pulling right? :poke:
Every "race car" I had before this truck, had a ratchet action shifter. Even in an auto, my right hand NEEDS to be doing something while I'm going down the track.

Confe's don't smell so much. :)

(I don't know why this one got stuck in the middle....) I have a ceramic/ceramic single.... It get's pretty stinky. And, yes what you're saying is true about having to feeling or hearing causing a slower reaction. But, I approach drag racing in a methodical way, I like to tell people that when they stage, they have to turn into a robot, therefore, my consistency doesn't really suffer because I strive to be as efficient with my actions as I can in every pass. For instance, I leave when the last yellow comes on, I have that much roll out, so I know that if I leave there every time I get a good light. I know that by half track I need to be in 4th gear, and I know that I need to be grabbing 5th as soon as I realize the stripe is up ahead.

Two projects related to this: First one is a shift light & recall diesel tach. We've been testing it on 12V factory sensors (including one test guy with a CR who retrofitted the 12V sensor). Hopefully it will work with the CR's sensor as well, but we haven't tested it with one yet. The shift light will be programmable. We're shipping out Beta test units tomorrow.

The item I discussed with Jason is a small simple module which ties into OBDII to do shift-light (and many other) functions. That one is farther out, but is now on our project list.

After thousands of dragstrip passes (heck, I've got around 300 on my truck alone), I've tried shifting by "feel" a few times, and found that I couldn't be as quick or consistent when going by feel. I have heard of people that can do it, but I'm just not that good!

I know what you mean, especially when I've been racing 1/8-mile then run 1/4 mile! In my gasser I run 5.90's in the 1/8, then to race 1/4-mile (was at a higher elevation track so only running 9.40) it seemed like forever to run the 2nd half of the track. I think there is an optimal level of "comfort" when racing - you want to be familiar enough that things are 2nd nature, but you don't want to become complacent and just "along for the ride".
Ya'll need a 2nd gen beta truck for that tach? LOL
I know what you mean, the only times I've raced 1/4, I did have time to get bored for that last 1/8 mile. I think that maybe the reason I'm so stuck on the "racing by feel" thing is that until recently I've never had a dedicated race rig. It's always been my quick little grocery getter that I take to the track to have fun in. So, I've never had a shift light, or a trans brake, or a rev limiter or anything like that. When I finish getting my s-10 together I'm going to have to re-learn how to drag race.

As for the oil, most likely, but it could mean the difference between barrings and cylinder wall reworking vs a hole.

Probably not. A lot of times the hole happens when you lift.

In my 02, the only factory gauge that works during a pass is the speedometer. The RAD shuts everything else off. The shift light and a recall tach would be cool though.

Paul

Ya'll need a 2nd gen beta truck for that tach? LOL
I know what you mean, the only times I've raced 1/4, I did have time to get bored for that last 1/8 mile. I think that maybe the reason I'm so stuck on the "racing by feel" thing is that until recently I've never had a dedicated race rig. It's always been my quick little grocery getter that I take to the track to have fun in. So, I've never had a shift light, or a trans brake, or a rev limiter or anything like that. When I finish getting my s-10 together I'm going to have to re-learn how to drag race.
I'll drop you a PM on the beta test.

Racing is like riding a bike, you never really forget how to drag race! However, if you're like me you'll find new ways to lose that you never thought of before!

What are the details of the S-10?

I used to bracket race my GMC Typhoon (glorified S10 Blazer), but it was an inconsistent SOB. At least it helped me learn how to spool a turbo for a drag race. My cars were always street/strip cars until I built my tube chassis car, but I still usually raced a street car &/or tow rig at least a few times a season. Back then I always raced at least 2 vehicles in the NHRA ET Finals for our division. This year our finals are in Canada, so we will probably not have a full team. If I make the trip (already applied for a passport for my daughter, and renewed mine), then I figure I might as well race at LEAST 2 classes, maybe 3. I can haul both race cars up in my 2-car trailer (with the camper on the truck as well), drop the whole mess, and run in Super-Pro & Pro with the cars, and Sportsman with the truck.

I'll drop you a PM on the beta test.

Racing is like riding a bike, you never really forget how to drag race! However, if you're like me you'll find new ways to lose that you never thought of before!

What are the details of the S-10?

I used to bracket race my GMC Typhoon (glorified S10 Blazer), but it was an inconsistent SOB. At least it helped me learn how to spool a turbo for a drag race. My cars were always street/strip cars until I built my tube chassis car, but I still usually raced a street car &/or tow rig at least a few times a season. Back then I always raced at least 2 vehicles in the NHRA ET Finals for our division. This year our finals are in Canada, so we will probably not have a full team. If I make the trip (already applied for a passport for my daughter, and renewed mine), then I figure I might as well race at LEAST 2 classes, maybe 3. I can haul both race cars up in my 2-car trailer (with the camper on the truck as well), drop the whole mess, and run in Super-Pro & Pro with the cars, and Sportsman with the truck.

It's a 84 (or maybe 86 can't remember) s-10 that we shoe-horned a 383 into.
It's got a turbo 350 behind it, and I'm going to put a Hurst shifter in it. The engine, in a Vega, ran consistent 6.90's in the 1/8th. We've got a Mallory race distributor and are putting a 6al box on it. The plan is to get the truck lined out with a carb, and then to put injectors on it.

my shift light in my camaro works great and its just off the shelf auto meter common rail motor the also sell low psi lights.

Back