drawing a blank and need some help

Finding TDC...Drop Valve Method...my style

Drop valve method...turn engine until there is maximum valve lash on number one cylinder valves (easy to determine with feeler gauge) then remove rocker/s and remove one valve spring. Drop valve down until it touches the piston. At this point TDC can be most easily found with a dial indicator reading valve stem movement as it follows the piston. I prefer this method over removing an injector.

I did the screwdriver method. Got me pretty close. Waiting for the last battery to charge so I can fire the truck up. Keep your fingers crossed.

Remove valve cover. Bar engine watching the rockers on the #6 cylinder. When the exhaust begins to close and intake is just cracking open, stop. That is close to TDC on exhaust, which means #1 is close to TDC on compression. Back engine up a bit. Install dial on intake valve, use lash adjuster to run the valve down 0.100" Bar engine forward until you deflect the dial a couple thou. I go to .002". Mark damper. Back the engine up a bit so you're not pressing against the valve. Adjust the rocker so the valve closes. Bar the engine well past TDC. Set the valve back down 0.100". Bar the engine backwards until you deflect the dial again to the amount you used before. Mark the damper. Measure the center of these marks, that is your TDC.

Don't do it on the exhaust stroke. At TDC, both valves are moving, which means your marks will be at different distances away from true TDC. It might not be out much, but why not do it properly when its only on revolution away? Likewise, this method requires no disassembly, only have to lash on valve to be back up and running.

You guys sure make it hard on yourselfs. Once you find TDC put a white paint mark (paint marker) on the dampner where it meet the belt on the drivers side of the engine and then you never have to pull an injector again. Just make sure you are on the correct TDC. $.02

Once you find it mark the damper with a permanent mark where it lines up with the belt. Then finding it next time is easy. I went one step further this time and took a pointed punch and put 4 dimples in the gear, in the form of an arrow. Now I pull my cover, and rotate the crank until it lines up with the mark on the damper. Then look to see if the arrow points up on the pump gear. If so I am at the right TDC.

You guys sure make it hard on yourselfs. Once you find TDC put a white paint mark (paint marker) on the dampner where it meet the belt on the drivers side of the engine and then you never have to pull an injector again. Just make sure you are on the correct TDC. $.02

Its all well and good until you pull the damper. Unless its been doweled to the crank. Mine is now, so I shouldn't ever have to find TDC again . . . on this engine.

just wondering how you make sure your not in between strokes when finding TDC?

just wondering how you make sure your not in between strokes when finding TDC?

Chances are if you are trying to find TDC you will (may) have the vavle cover off. Just make sure you have lash on #1 intake rocker if not, rotate it 360* $.02. As far as pulling the dampner, I would just remove the old mark with the pump pinned and the upon install of the dampner just remark it.

why not put a mark on the crank snout in the same direction as the damper mark? then when you re-install the damper its in the same location.

Back