Drop box to reverser?

bob 99

If this has been covered I'm sry I searched and didn't find anything. Is anyone using a drive shaft between the reverser and the drop box? Just wondering if it is safe to do it that way or if I need to do something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My SCS setup uses a solid shaft splined at both ends with collars to connect the shaft at either end

I have used center drive shafts in all of my pullers. Should be 1350 series or larger u-joints/yokes and must be completely enclosed/shielded per ntpa/ppl rules.

I use a drive shaft between the Dropbox and reverser. Been there since I built the truck in 08. 1480 joints

Ok so if I use 1480 joints I shouldn't have any problems. It will definitely be fully shielded. I wouldn't want that thing in the cab with me lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is in 6" well casing. I would recommend having a good driveline shop build it that can balance it. Not a DIY kinda deal

Is well casing cast or ductile, steel or iron?

Not sure. This is some stuff I had a friend drop off. He Said it was well casing but it's definitely not cast. Looks like regular 6"x .250 pipe. He told me it came off a commercial job.

1480 joints is over kill in my opinion unless you plan on going to multiple chargers one day. The center shaft is spinning at engine speed, therefore the torque load is minimal compared to what the front and rear driveshafts see. I have always used 1350 joints on the center shaft without ever having a failure. If you make the shaft yourself (I make mine), it is important to have it balanced at a driveshaft shop and tell them how fast it is going to be spinning.
As Jeremy said, 6" casing works fine for a shield. I split mine and weld flanges on it so it bolts together with 3/8-16 grade 8 bolts every 6". You will need to support or attach the bottom half to the transfer case and the reverser or the bell housing. Tunnel Wall thickness needs to be 5/16" per PPL rules but I would guess that most are 1/4" thick.

Attached is a Snip from the PPL rulebook:

http://www.propulling.com/images/pdf/2015/PPL_Rulebook_June_2015_Web.pdf

Attachments

• shaft.JPG
    shaft.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 0
Back