Dual Batteries.....

HRDROKN

Prestige Worldwide
For those of you that still run duals..... what is your total CCA? Trying to figure how much battery I really need!

:Cheer:

i think mine were 700 cca each, i now run just one, but i have no grid heaters.

When I go to twins and have to go to a single battery, I will be buying one of these bad boys.
Odyssey PC2150T Battery: BatteryMart.com

Right now I run 2 optimas at 800cca each/1600 total. Starts the truck like a champ when it gets down to the negative teens.
Now that I installed the Espar diesel fired hydronic boiler, it starts like its summer out, and has instant heat. Some of the best money I have spent.

I run that battery. I love it. I also put in 2 ga. marine cables, starter contacts, and a diode on the fuel shut off solenoid. It starts great in the winter with the heaters.

Mark, send Willyslover on bombers a note asking him for info and a pic of his! Its one of those Odyssey' and he loves it! Very pricey though.

Can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I was able to get a 1100 CCA (32 degrees if I remember correctly for that rating) single battery from Pasco pretty cheap. Round $100 or so. Check out my old thread about ditching the passenger side battery for which it is. Truck starts great and even when the grid heater malfunctioned for a while running it non stop it took a bit to kill the battery. I now have no heater.

Can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I was able to get a 1100 CCA (32 degrees if I remember correctly for that rating) single battery from Pasco pretty cheap. Round $100 or so. Check out my old thread about ditching the passenger side battery for which it is. Truck starts great and even when the grid heater malfunctioned for a while running it non stop it took a bit to kill the battery. I now have no heater.

32* is just cranking amps. CCA is rated at 0*. Most batteries (like my Optimas) are rated at 1100 cranking amps at 32* and 800 cold cranking amps at 0*.

i think mine were 700 cca each, i now run just one, but i have no grid heaters.

I was wondering if a single 700 cca would work. I got a redtop lying around thats rated at 700 cca and want to go single. I dont run grid heater either. You or anyone else have any probles witha single?

Where do you live? My 24v only has one battery, starts just fine. When I was starting it when it was colder, it would suck the volt gauge down pretty good though. Above freezing, it starts like a champ. Thats on whatever the factory mopar battery is.

You will find that most of your AGM battery companies are not testing for CCA and starting to not really worry about CA numbers. Both of those ratings are for starting your vehicle for 30 seconds, which todays starters aren't designed to withstand 30 seconds of cranking and makes this test mostly out dated.

The instantaneous power of the battery is really more of a factor with starting these days. The more power you get instantaneous at start up is going to improve your starts and really help in the colder temps.

The only reason I worry about going to one battery.. Even those Giant Odysee batteries, is that I leave the stereo (Separates up front, 6.5's in the doors and two 12's under the seat) on in my truck for a good 4+ hours during the summer before I've gotta refire and go home. Not sure how well it'd handle that, even with no grid heaters. Still planning on two Optimas (or something similar) on the passenger side frame rail.

The only reason I worry about going to one battery.. Even those Giant Odysee batteries, is that I leave the stereo (Separates up front, 6.5's in the doors and two 12's under the seat) on in my truck for a good 4+ hours during the summer before I've gotta refire and go home. Not sure how well it'd handle that, even with no grid heaters. Still planning on two Optimas (or something similar) on the passenger side frame rail.

What is steering you toward the Optima batteries?

we have a tester that tests the cranking power for 10 seconds

a good batterie can crank 10 seconds without dropping in cranking power.
most new batteries can even do that.....

running one red top in mine.
Starts like a champ. No need for two batteries down here in texas. Coldest mornings may be in the mid to low twenties.

Lance

Same system as me basically. My lights dim enough as it is with the system cranking and I've killed the batts a time or two at bonfires that I'm scared to drop down to one battery. But since I'm staying with a single for the foreseeable future I see no need to get rid of the second one.

You can only run a single battery with twins? What is the purpose of only running one battery?

Some twin setups you can run both batteries.

The purpose is more room for the piping and air filter in twins, less clutter under the hood, less weight on the front end, and one less battery to buy when it dies.

I have dual DieHard Platinum and they work great. 930 CCA per battery, and have never had a problem starting it since I put them in at the beginning of the year. They are the same as a Odyssey, just relabeled and cheaper.

Back