Dunrite converters transbuddy kit?

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
OK, I talked with Tony at Dunrite converters and he was a very nice guy with lots of good information. I do have a question about his transmission kit. It increases line pressures to prevent slippage and will make the transmission and torque converter last much longer. The one drawback is that it requires a manual switch to lockup the converter. This is no problem for me, but I do loan the truck out occasionally and my wife drives it too. I don't want to overcomplicate this procedure for driving and so I thought I'd just ask before I bought and installed the kit.

Does anyone have experience with this kit? Good or bad?

What alternatives woudl you suggest to improve the life of this transmission by fixing the factory mistake of low line pressures at low rpms?

Thanks,
George

George..I have never heard of Dunrite personally. If it were my decision, I would stick with a company that has been in the business a long time....ATS, DTT, and Suncoast would be the three I would be making my decision about.

Don't know much about them, but anything is better then stock. The switch he is talking about is probley so you can lock the converter in all gears if you want. The truck should lock in 3rd and 4th by itself like normal.

haz-mat19 said:
... The switch he is talking about is probley so you can lock the converter in all gears if you want. The truck should lock in 3rd and 4th by itself like normal.

Ditto on that;)

I guess I just didn't understand him. I know Tony has been in the tranny buisness for a long time, used to build transmissions for a guy names Cloyes that some of you may have heard of if you build gas engines (yes, the camshaft guy) so I knew his stuff would be good, just didn't know if there was better or easier stuff avaliable.

I'll go ahead and call him back and order his transmission kit, for $125 he said my stock tranny and converter will be good for a fair amount of power, and to step up to his $850 converter for applications around 450hp and under 20,000lb towing duties.

thanks,
George

Tony Garcin of Dunrite is one of the most knowlegable Dodge guys around. I think you missunderstood the purpose of the TCC switch. Trans will lock up normaly, the switch just gives you more control of the converter clutch. Tony and I go back to the '60s. :D

Mike L. said:
Tony Garcin of Dunrite is one of the most knowlegable Dodge guys around. I think you missunderstood the purpose of the TCC switch. Trans will lock up normaly, the switch just gives you more control of the converter clutch. Tony and I go back to the '60s. :D

The old man has spoken...:D LOL

George, I strongly recommend you pm Mike L with your transmission questions. I think you'll find him more than knowledgeable...:D

Back