Duramax Acronyms

BigYellowIron

Diesel Tech
I'm Kind of Dumb on the Dmax stuff:bang

Is there a article somewhere that explains the difference between all the models ie lmm lbz lly lb7 ????

I got in a fight with the search engine on here and I gave up!!!

:thankyou2:

Adam

Don't know about an article, but here is a short desc.

lb7- this was the 1st gen. of duramax, (01-04.5), some of them have injector issues that lead to filling the crank case with diesel. fixed geometry turbo, no egr.

lly- (04.5-05) gm added egr and a vgt turbo to the mix. The injector hold downs were re-designed to combat seating problems. not sure of any other changes. The lly trucks are prone to overheating under heavy loads and hot weather

lly/lbz-(06-07) Bigger egr, redesigned pistons, basically the 06 lly is just an lbz with a lower power rating and the 5 spd. allison. with the lbz, gm increased the power rating and added a sixth gear to the ally auto.

lmm-(07.5-current) addition of even larger egr, and diesel particulate filter to meet newer emmsions standards. not sure on any internal differences.

lb7- this was the 1st gen. of duramax, (01-04.5), some of them have injector issues that lead to filling the crank case with diesel. fixed geometry turbo, Egr & cat on 02 & up Cali emissions & 03-Northeast emissions, 310hp 520ftlbs

lly- (04.5-05) gm a vgt turbo to the mix. All trucks have EGR & cat The injector are external. The lly trucks are prone to overheating under heavy loads and hot weather 310hp 610ft lbs

lly/lbz-(06-07) Bigger egr, redesigned shortblock, basically the 06 lly is just an lbz with a lower power rating and the 5 spd. allison. with the lbz, gm increased the power rating and added a sixth gear to the ally auto. 360hp 650ftlbs

lmm-(07.5-current) addition of even larger egr, and diesel particulate filter to meet newer emmsions standards. not sure on any internal differences.

few corrections

also heard the the 01 to 04.5 had some problems with the tranny, GM FIXED this in to current> guy at chruch just brought a 07 or newer cant remember had them install a hypertech and then told him it wont hold level 3 unless he wants to change out his springs in the tranny for an extra 300 bucks WTF, he did try it and it didnt want to shift right so they turned it back to level 3, And i told him we could have put a smarty or something in and just took it out if he needed to take it to the shop, but its his truck and he wanted to make sure if something went wrong it would be covered. They should covre it anyway if they going to warranty hypertech's programming then they should should do it if you install it not just them to get more money

I thought there was a run towards the end where the lly's came with the 6speed Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phale View Post

lb7- this was the 1st gen. of duramax, (01-04.5), some of them have injector issues that lead to filling the crank case with diesel. fixed geometry turbo, Egr & cat on 02 & up Cali emissions & 03-Northeast emissions, 310hp 520ftlbs

lly- (04.5-05) gm a vgt turbo to the mix. All trucks have EGR & cat The injector are external. The lly trucks are prone to overheating under heavy loads and hot weather 310hp 610ft lbs

lly/lbz-(06-07) Bigger egr, redesigned shortblock, basically the 06 lly is just an lbz with a lower power rating and the 5 spd. allison. with the lbz, gm increased the power rating and added a sixth gear to the ally auto. 360hp 650ftlbs

few corrections
Quote:
Originally Posted by phale View Post

few corrections

And I have a few corrections for you too.

the LB7 is 300hp 520tq

the LLY is 310hp 590tq in 2004.5, and in 2005 it was 310hp and 605tq

the LMM is 365hp 660tq

ben

I thought there was a run towards the end where the lly's came with the 6speed Ally?

06 LLY came with 6 speed allisions or ZF trannys and came with a 310/605 rateing it is basicly a detuned LBZ motor.

01-05 blocks and 06 and new block are different mainly in the main web area.. 01-05 main web is necked down after the main journal.. 06 and newer have full thickness main webs.
01 block dont have some of the bosses the 02 and later block do.

01-05 ran a delphi ecm 06-new runs a bosh ecm
5 speed/ 6 speed ally are roughly the same.. VB and a couple apply piston and TCM are differnet. you can make a 5 speed into a 6 speed with a vb/tcm swap.

Back