DuraMax shortblock work.

I'm sure Demitri wouldn't mind a total greenhorn wasting his time asking for tips to build an engine that will at best be at 35% of his power level. I have more respect for him than that. I have none for you or II so why don't you leave this thread alone. I don't value your opinion, and i don't trust you. You ripped me once, I learned. Go BS someone else.

Funny the same parts you got are the same parts they both use....you must be a 1% er. LOL

I offered to resolve your claimed" issue, you declined. you ripped yourself. Many in running trucks and your heap that still dont run, is the ONLY one with a "claimed" issue.

You *constantly* ask Engine building questions, stop being cheap and pay for one to be built, this aint free diesel engine building tips.com.

I tried to help, you declined, im done.

It basically comes down to: how much do you want to spend? and try to build to your budget. I've got probably $24k into my complete motor. Waaaayyyy more than I should've spent. And I'm not even done. In my opinion, you can be a budget shopper and put together a reliable 800hp daily driver for $15k complete with twin turbos. Add $4600 for a built trans.

Funny the same parts you got are the same parts they both use....you must be a 1% er. LOL

I offered to resolve your claimed" issue, you declined. you ripped yourself. Many in running trucks and your heap that still dont run, is the ONLY one with a "claimed" issue.

You *constantly* ask Engine building questions, stop being cheap and pay for one to be built, this aint free diesel engine building tips.com.

My heap runs fine Wade. That's the good thing about planning ahead and having a new one built before the old one gives out. Notice i say have one built? I have no interest in building mine, I figure it's best to pay someone else that knows how to put it together properly. My questions are usually pretty general, I don't expect anyone that does it for a living to give me trade secrets. P-pumped 6.7 information wasn't available so that project has taken a while. I didn't go cheap anywhere on this build. Haven't cut any corners so far and don't plan on doing so.
As far as the pins go, i think they are a joke, just like you. I keep them to show other people that they need to be carefull who they deal with.
I've got $1200 in an ultra low mile 6.7 block and head. $1300 for a new crank(motor home engine). $5500 in the head(incl shipping). $3000 for rods. $3500 for pistons(including machine work and coating) gaskets, seals, freeze plugs, etc. About $2500 in cam and valve train(including gears). And about $1800 for a front cover and housing. I think that adds up to about $15800. I bought new turbo's a while back to run with the 6.7, they were about 4500 and 2 new wastegates will bring it to about $5k. That's $20.8K and the new 13mm pump will be about $3500 on top of buying the brand new 887 pump it is being made out of for $1600. That's almost $26K in parts and head work. Haven't even started putting it together yet. :hehe:

Sorry for being a tight ass Wade.

Last edited:
My heap runs fine Wade. That's the good thing about planning ahead and having a new one built before the old one gives out. Notice i say have one built? I have no interest in building mine, I figure it's best to pay someone else that knows how to put it together properly. My questions are usually pretty general, I don't expect anyone that does it for a living to give me trade secrets. P-pumped 6.7 information wasn't available so that project has taken a while. I didn't go cheap anywhere on this build. Haven't cut any corners so far and don't plan on doing so.
As far as the pins go, i think they are a joke, just like you. I keep them to show other people that they need to be carefull who they deal with.
I've got $1200 in an ultra low mile 6.7 block and head. $1300 for a new crank(motor home engine). $5500 in the head(incl shipping). $3000 for rods. $3500 for pistons(including machine work and coating) gaskets, seals, freeze plugs, etc. About $2500 in cam and valve train(including gears). And about $1800 for a front cover and housing. I think that adds up to about $15800. I bought new turbo's a while back to run with the 6.7, they were about 4500 and 2 new wastegates will bring it to about $5k. That's $20.8K and the new 13mm pump will be about $3500 on top of buying the brand new 887 pump it is being made out of for $1600. That's almost $26K in parts and head work. Haven't even started putting it together yet. :hehe:

Sorry for being a tight ass Wade.

Totally OT but what is that pricey beast purpose? Other then keeping your bank account low?

Sounds like a heck of a build

Gotdang. That's what I want to do, but I'm trying to do it for half that. I'm definitely cutting corners lol.

Really, you're finally done? Honestly? NO BS?

Good bye Wade! We won't miss you....well, of course, we'll miss laughing at you, and your "engine building" skills....but oh well.

Chris

we don't have th same spool up issues that some cummins seem to have

if you're on the fence about stock/coated/cut&coated why dont you post a thread over on duramaxdiesels.com lots of helpful guys over there with built motors can give you their experience :)

The words of a Christian man

I dont think compression hurts the duramax as badly as people think. If you delip them you wont loose enough compression to tell a difference in power from what i have seen.

I dont think compression hurts the duramax as badly as people think. If you delip them you wont loose enough compression to tell a difference in power from what i have seen.

Rob what do you know though? :hug: LOL

back in 2005 i switched cams in my truck and a couple weeks later I had to replace the head gasket. I went with a .020 over gasket and i lost the bottom end i gained with the towing cam. Sounds like the Dmax is not as sensitive.

I have never been able to tell by seat of the pants any difference between a truck with delipped pistons and stock. Just don't go cutting the tops off them and you will be fine.

Shortblock

On mine I could tell the differance. I changed head gaskets and it had less down low. I run a pretty big cam so I'll bet that had a lot to do with it. Jeff

Back