ECM & APPS Changing

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
Anyone change out their ECM & APPS from one year to another. Is that all you'd have to do to change? I'd like to change from the 04.5 to 05. I know I'd have to get the skim key reflashed also? Will it work or is there more involved??

Bump

OT-OF-Here said:
Anyone change out their ECM & APPS from one year to another. Is that all you'd have to do to change? I'd like to change from the 04.5 to 05. I know I'd have to get the skim key reflashed also? Will it work or is there more involved??

I sure thought with all our expertise on this site someone would know what I need. Hmmmmmm?? :bang

ecm

ot a here, you stilll trying to solve your ECM woes? What is your reasoning for going to an 05?

05 Ecm

sootman said:
ot a here, you stilll trying to solve your ECM woes? What is your reasoning for going to an 05?

That would open up another possibility for big power as I would be able to run the Scary Larry in addition to everyting I'm running now (not at the same time obviously.) My reasoning is: if I have to replace it anyway and if there isn't really that much else I need to change with it to make it happen,... then why not? All I've been able to get out of anyone is I would need the 05 apps and get my skim key reflashed. Not much of a hurdle if that's it, but if there is a lot more then it's not worth it. I would like to know however so I can make a decision. I guess not too many guys out there with an older Dodge or Ford that have put a CR in it and would know what is needed.

Giving that I only have three trucks in the shop to look at for you.(none of them 05's) Between the 06 and the 04.5 the only hurdles I can visually see would be the throttle and tranny controls are different. manual versus electronic. I am going to look through mopar virtual tech and see If anything else jumps out at me. My experience with the scary larry is only been alot of split crossover tubes and rail pressure spikes of 29000+psi. My humble opinion is I don't need a programmer that needs to raise rail pressure to make power. that is what an adjustable "BOX" is for when needed.$.02

Whoooooooooa!

sootman said:
Giving that I only have three trucks in the shop to look at for you.(none of them 05's) Between the 06 and the 04.5 the only hurdles I can visually see would be the throttle and tranny controls are different. manual versus electronic. I am going to look through mopar virtual tech and see If anything else jumps out at me. My experience with the scary larry is only been alot of split crossover tubes and rail pressure spikes of 29000+psi. My humble opinion is I don't need a programmer that needs to raise rail pressure to make power. that is what an adjustable "BOX" is for when needed.$.02

29k rail pressure?? Never heard that b-4. Interesting. I know a number of guys who have run it going on 2 or more years on a daily basis and never heard that from them and most of them who have considerable mods are at or near 700-800hp.

I'd still appreciate you taking a look if you don't mind so I know exactly what would be in front of me but your comment may end up being a deal breaker for the investment I have in this truck and soon to be even more.

Tks.

If we are talking about the SCARY LARRY (crazy larry is not same, no pressure)then Yes I have actually seen 29000psi spikes on the DRB. Regular jumps of 28000psi for a few seconds then split crossover tubes. big, big mess. The truck I am speaking of was stacking with the torque dog and 120hp sticks. I don't think the change to 05 electronics would be feasible. money wise anyway. ecm, apps,skim key,wiring harness, and kickdown/pressure module on tranny. Have you tried the PPE HOT yet? made 608rwhp with no stack and stock sticks. clean driveable power even on the extreme setting. by itself, it would spool the II 66 to 52psi. PPE HOT with the TS MP8 is safe powerful stack.$.02

Last edited:
05 Ecm

sootman said:
If we are talking about the SCARY LARRY (crazy larry is not same, no pressure)then Yes I have actually seen 29000psi spikes on the DRB. Regular jumps of 28000psi for a few seconds then split crossover tubes. big, big mess. The truck I am speaking of was stacking with the torque dog and 120hp sticks. I don't think the change to 05 electronics would be feasible. money wise anyway. ecm, apps,skim key,wiring harness, and kickdown/pressure module on tranny. Have you tried the PPE HOT yet? made 608rwhp with no stack and stock sticks. clean driveable power even on the extreme setting. by itself, it would spool the II 66 to 52psi. PPE HOT with the TS MP8 is safe powerful stack.$.02

I hadn't heard anything like that so I appreciate that info. And yes I have a PPE HOT/EZ and went 618 on a Mustang. I suppose I'll rethink my quest.

Tks again.

Back