effect of tires on dyno numbers

I have always been told that slicks do calculate to lost hp on the dyno vs a street tire but I have never tested it back to verify. As for your scenario I would assume lighter and shorter tire would free up hp as well.

Maybe if you didn't air them up and they wrapped/dragged around the roller?

I think smaller tire would do about the same. Only benefit would be the rotating mass reduction. I think it would even out on the roller because it takes a bit longer to spin up due to more tire rotation/distance to spin the roller the same amount.

I've never done it of course so my idea could be completely wrong, but I'm sure others have and I'd also like to know the results.

Maybe if you didn't air them up and they wrapped/dragged around the roller?

I think smaller tire would do about the same. Only benefit would be the rotating mass reduction. I think it would even out on the roller because it takes a bit longer to spin up due to more tire rotation/distance to spin the roller the same amount.

I've never done it of course so my idea could be completely wrong, but I'm sure others have and I'd also like to know the results.

Ya that is one thing we always do is air them up a great deal.

Yeah , delfate them a bit, get strapped in and then air up more ( like go down to 10 get straped in the air up to 35 or something like that ) .. just a thought

Weird thing is I had not noticed much difference on my LMM going from 35x12.50x20's to 285x50x20's. I figured it would help but did not show but a 3 hp difference on the dyno?

What kind of dyno? On a load cell with a slow controlled sweep will almost eliminate the driveline weight. A very short high power sweep on an light inertia sweep the driveline inertia can eat a bunch of power.

Back