EFILive after Smarty

WetMtnCRD

I'm trying to get a "stock" tune in a CM2100 ECM that previously had Smarty on it. It was supposed to be "returned to stock" but isn't playing well when I try flash new stock files to it using EFI. The truck will start then die after reflashing with the new files. I've downloaded some files from tunefiledepot. Have done the VIN change using v7.5 tune by just typing it into the VIN box. That didn't work. Flashed an unmodifed file and changed the VIN using the v7.5 scan tool on the bidirectional tab. That didn't work either. Starts then dies. I've read back the new files after doing the VIN change and they show it changed. The original file from the ECM is a "incomplete, DoNotFlash" situation. I have successfully reflashed this file back and the truck runs fine. Risky but it worked. Am I not doing the VIN change correctly or are these files from tunefiledepot bad?

Efilive made a statement a few months back that if you had previously had a smarty or other downloader on the truck, that you should have the dealer do a reflash. It is way more thorough than any"back to stock"file

Efilive made a statement a few months back that if you had previously had a smarty or other downloader on the truck, that you should have the dealer do a reflash. It is way more thorough than any"back to stock"file

I probly won't get any Dodge dealer to flash this ECM with it being in a Ford in front of an Allison. It would nice but not likely.

I probly won't get any Dodge dealer to flash this ECM with it being in a Ford in front of an Allison. It would nice but not likely.

Depending on the dealer. The dodge dealer here loves my fummins. It's just money for them.

Depending on the dealer. The dodge dealer here loves my fummins. It's just money for them.

That's good to know. Maybe I'll make some phone calls a see what some of 'em say. Nearest dealer for me is 65 miles away.

I may be able to bench flash that ecm with a clean stock tune.

Any ECM tuned by a Smarty is never truly "returned to stock." I found out the hard way when attempting to tune my dad's '06 after it had a Smarty Jr. on it. Half way through a full flash of a known good stock tune, it failed. Dead in the water. Luckily, it was still under the extended warranty, so we played dumb and said "it ran fine yesterday." $100 deductible and we got a new ECM which turned out to be bad, so we made them put another one in it. All is well and tuned by Les at Silver Bullet now.

It wouldn't hurt to call a Dodge dealer and see if they can flash a new stock tune into it.

Last edited:
Tried a couple new files today. Still no progress. VIN changes, disabled anti-theft. Compared the that came out to others to see what differences there might be and other than some tables there were few differences. I tried one with the same parameter settings as the original and no help. Gonna call a couple dealers tomorrow. I really hate doing that.:(

I eventually got a file that would start and run. Tried some tuning and discovered that the fuel quantity will not go above 94mm3. Tried a couple test files from Les at SBT and same result. Thought I might try a reflash. Went to 2 dealers and 1 Cummins service center. Well guess what?! They couldn't do it. Apparently Witech needs to see a TIPM before it will reflash the ECM. So that's not going to happen. I don't have a TIPM installed and I'd guess most conversions don't. So now I'm back to trying to figure out what's limiting my mm3. It's a shame Smarty could do this with very few sensors installed and EFI,in all their glory, can't. But really it's more an issue of this finiky POS ecm. I'm really not even sure a reflash would fix this anyway. The last dealer I was at thought that even if we installed the ecm in a truck with the TIPM that once back on my truck without one it might not run. I beleive that to be true do to the truck tunes I tried and every one would start then die. Maybe looking for something that wasn't there. I really don't know why they didn't work but they didn't. Only the C&C file I got from Tobin would start and stay running. And that's what I'm using now. But can't get it to fuel above 94mm3. Anyone else with a conversion run ito this?

Why do you need an ECM that has a certain vin on it? Your not using anything except the ECM that's Chrysler related (no tipm, cluster, bcm etc). Why can't you use a regular trucks ECM and use that for EFI?

I tried several truck/pickup type files and none of them would run. The engine would start, run a few seconds then die. Tried disabling lots of stuff and none of it worked. You are right on the vin situation. I don't really care what vin is in there, it really doesn't matter 'cause I don't have all the other modules for the verification routine. But what I believe now is that the TIPM is really the "boss" in these systems and the ecm is like one of the other modules--tcm, antiskid, o2, etc. So when you try to reflash the ecm the tipm needs to present to allow it to happen. That's kinda what the dealer lead me to believe. They could connect and communicate with the ecm but without the tipm it wouldn't flash. Maybe someone else could clarify this. I don't really want to buy another ecm. Was hoping to be able to reflash this one with an OS that was similar to the trucks. But it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. EFI seems to work well in OEM applications but maybe not so well on conversions with out all the sensors and other modules in place.

I may be able to bench flash that ecm with a clean stock tune.

Tried to get ecm reflashed at a dealer. They couldn't do it because I don't have a TIPM installed. Yea! Not likely on a conversion. Anyway can you reflash to a pickup/truck OS and calibration? Dealer didn't think it would work anyway because it would still look for the TIPM and might not run. That might be the problem I had with the truck tunes before. I tried several of them and it would start, run a few seconds then die. I disabled quite a lot of stuff and none of it worked. Got a C&C tune from another guy on the forum and runs but I can't get full fueling now. Don't know if it's something Smarty left behind or if it's just this OS and calibration that's on a C&C ecm. Do you think a reflash would fix this and would even still work without all the other modules and sensors?
Doug Ward

Bench flashing from Lee should do the trick.

How does cummins flash industrial engines? Is there a tipm on those models too?

Back