Engine assembly tools

schnutsy

Looking to see what ring pliers, piston ring compressors, assembly lube, etc you guys use when reassembling your engine. Putting my 2.6 truck's motor back together for the first time and wondering what others use for tools. I know a lot of people on here would have much more experience than me in this field that can point me to a better brand of tool or what works what doesn't. Also any other tools or anything you guys would suggest to have would be great. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help, or info.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blue point ring pliers
Blue point ring compressor
LUBRIPLATE No. 105 lube for the bearings
motor oil to lube the rings
snap on torque wrench
cam shaft lube for the cam lobes and lifters
homemade oil pump primer

This is what I use for my motors when I put them together.

Lubriplate assembly lube, Plastiguage from Sealed Power, I use The Right Stuff for sealing my intake and used Ultra Black for the girdle/oil pan. Don't forget a dial indicator and a degree wheel from Jegs. I went out and bought the tapered ring compressors also from Jegs for the bores I do commonly because it makes life 100x easier, other than that a good torque wrench is a must. And I don't mean Craftsman.

Lubriplate assembly lube, Plastiguage from Sealed Power, I use The Right Stuff for sealing my intake and used Ultra Black for the girdle/oil pan. Don't forget a dial indicator and a degree wheel from Jegs. I went out and bought the tapered ring compressors also from Jegs for the bores I do commonly because it makes life 100x easier, other than that a good torque wrench is a must. And I don't mean Craftsman.
I marked the cam and crank gear, only thing I forgot was the pump gear. Cam is already degree'd. Got ahead of the gun since it was an adjustable I popped it off first and afterwards facepalmed. When reinstalling the pump I take it I should tdc the motor. There's a mark on the pump but not the gear. Not positive on where the mark should be on the pump, straight up with tdc marking? Just want to be sure. Kinda unfamiliar with p pump stuff still. I appreciate the replys so far guys, helpful information for sure.

Blue point ring pliers
Blue point ring compressor
LUBRIPLATE No. 105 lube for the bearings
motor oil to lube the rings
snap on torque wrench
cam shaft lube for the cam lobes and lifters
homemade oil pump primer

This is what I use for my motors when I put them together.

Any details on making an oil pump primer? or where I could possibly get one? thanks

Not sure on timing of the pump.... Some pumps have a Point of Injection mark on it and you time it off of that. Others you time like a regular p-pump with a dial indicator. You'll have to talk to your pump builder. Do yourself a favor though and get some timing tape from Jegs for the balancer.

I do not use an oil pump primer, just use assembly lube everywhere thick, fill it with oil by dumping it down through the valve covers, make sure the oil filter is totally filled, then crank it over without the injectors for a few seconds until the pressure comes up. Not sure if this is the correct way or not but I always figured it takes so much time to install the correct oil pump, then assemble the front of the motor, then prep everything else to start that its not worth priming it.

Not sure on timing of the pump.... Some pumps have a Point of Injection mark on it and you time it off of that. Others you time like a regular p-pump with a dial indicator. You'll have to talk to your pump builder. Do yourself a favor though and get some timing tape from Jegs for the balancer.

I do not use an oil pump primer, just use assembly lube everywhere thick, fill it with oil by dumping it down through the valve covers, make sure the oil filter is totally filled, then crank it over without the injectors for a few seconds until the pressure comes up. Not sure if this is the correct way or not but I always figured it takes so much time to install the correct oil pump, then assemble the front of the motor, then prep everything else to start that its not worth priming it.

Okay thanks, I actually had it sent out to be looked over so maybe when I get it back it will have install info. If not, i'll have to give them a call. As far as an oil primer I would think the way you doit is completely fine. As long as I don't skimp on the assembly lube I think ill be okay going that route for sure, don't see why not. The motor is going to create pressure in no time, using plenty of assembly lube should keep the bearings happy until oil gets to them from a quick cranking. If you're pulling with SPI this year Dave i'll see you around, i'm located in NY. Thanks for the help.

My primer is nothing fancy I just took a spare oil pump, removed the drive gear, and welded a bolt on the pump gear. Before I install the front cover I put the primer pump in using a drill to spin, it will quickly prime everything with out spinning the motor. Once I have oil on the rockers I remove the primer install the oil pump and put the front cover on.

To do this everything needs to be in place so pump, turbo, ect needs to be hooked up that way it all gets primed before the motor moves.

I prefer the permatex assembly lube over the lubriplate but that is all personal preference.

Okay thanks, I actually had it sent out to be looked over so maybe when I get it back it will have install info. If not, i'll have to give them a call. As far as an oil primer I would think the way you doit is completely fine. As long as I don't skimp on the assembly lube I think ill be okay going that route for sure, don't see why not. The motor is going to create pressure in no time, using plenty of assembly lube should keep the bearings happy until oil gets to them from a quick cranking. If you're pulling with SPI this year Dave i'll see you around, i'm located in NY. Thanks for the help.

Sweet! I'll be there. Looks like we have a bunch in NY this year, make sure you say hello :Cheer:

My primer is nothing fancy I just took a spare oil pump, removed the drive gear, and welded a bolt on the pump gear. Before I install the front cover I put the primer pump in using a drill to spin, it will quickly prime everything with out spinning the motor. Once I have oil on the rockers I remove the primer install the oil pump and put the front cover on.

To do this everything needs to be in place so pump, turbo, ect needs to be hooked up that way it all gets primed before the motor moves.
Sounds pretty simple, if I can find a used pump cheap maybe I'll doit. Thanks for the info!

Back