Engine Blocks

JWales

Obsession or Addiction?
Question:
1. What are the differences between engine blocks from 1989-2009?
2. What block is the strongest?
3. Is there much differece in block weight?
4. My main concern is the difference between 12v 94-98 and 24v 99-02.

On strongest I would say 24v or CR. Weight I know for sure goes to the CR. I have a stripped down 05 motor and a 94 motor, took both to the machine shop and me and another guy bareley got the CR up in my bed.

I read that the 24v block has 12mm main bolts and the 12v block has 14mm bolts. I know that 12mm doesn't hold as much as 14mm, but does this make much difference?

I have to say that the CR block is strongest hands down, especially when a girdle is incorporated.. as for the 14mm main bolt thing, I'm still not 100% sure on years, but is does seem like all B-Series pre-STORM blocks are 14mm thread..

Question:
1. What are the differences between engine blocks from 1989-2009?
89-98 12 valve 1/8" NPT oil fittings 14mm Main Bolt thread
98.5-02 12 & 24 Valve STORM BLOCK Straight Thread O Ring Metric 12mm oil pressure fittings 12mm Main bolt thread
03 to current HPCR blocks unsure of main thread size oil fittings still o ring exterior is gusseted and relived for crank throws. Rods are junk. pistons are junk.

2. What block is the strongest?
I say CR
3. Is there much differece in block weight?
The CR is substantially heavier
4. My main concern is the difference between 12v 94-98 and 24v 99-02.

to answer

Has anyone built a block girdle and does it help out much?

I have also come across a blown up 96' 5.9 12v. The fuel pump is missing and so is the turbo. I believe that one or two cylinders are scored.

How much does it cost to have a block bored out?

Also which rods are stronger 24v or 12v?

I asked a cummins rep. if there was a difference between Marine rods and auto and he told me there was no difference.
Anyone know other wise?

If you use search, you can find answers to your all questions. :pop:´, the information is here

Back