engine brake??

big_bran

ok guys i am pretty unfamiliar with the 7.3 powerstroke.

I have a customer that contacted me wanting to install an actual engine brake. Not an exhaust brake. I have searched and basically confirmed my thoughts thus far.

It doesnt apear to me that there is an engine brake available. from my experience i dont think there is room for an engine brake under the valve covers.

Just looking for a little verification that his only out is going to be an exhaust brake.

You sure can fix him up!

This
cummins-6.7L-engine-large.jpg

and this
HCD3_zpsad830bcf.jpg

is the solution. Anything else is like adding insult to injury.

Ha ha Funny thats what i told the customer..... LOL

I called jacobs brake, and pacbrake. I just about have them talked into quoting the customer an exhaust brake. I guess he is just dead set that they dont perform as well.

I told them to tell him a powerjoke will never perform as well as a cummins. seems performance isnt his main concern ha ha

While he is certain he doesn't want an exhaust brake, you can inform him that the factory EBPV on the turbine side of the turbocharger can be used as an exhaust brake for minimal investment. With our tuning software, we can control that warm-up butterfly valve in the programming and open/close it on command with our tuner. If it's also an automatic, that particular tune changes transmission control and converter lockup to improve it's performance.

While he is certain he doesn't want an exhaust brake, you can inform him that the factory EBPV on the turbine side of the turbocharger can be used as an exhaust brake for minimal investment. With our tuning software, we can control that warm-up butterfly valve in the programming and open/close it on command with our tuner. If it's also an automatic, that particular tune changes transmission control and converter lockup to improve it's performance.

I control my exhaust brake with a switch on the dash, it works fabulous in the mountains when loaded. Having it in the Tunes would be even better. Hard to beat for the money.

I control my exhaust brake with a switch on the dash, it works fabulous in the mountains when loaded. Having it in the Tunes would be even better. Hard to beat for the money.

Yeah, same theory as your switch, just controlled with the chip instead. Plus, with it being in the tuning of the chip, we can increase pressure to the coast clutch and control the converter for even better braking effectiveness.

I wouldn't run an exhaust brake using the ebpv,

First, in order to transfer the energy of the moving vehicle to the engine during deceleration, two things must occur: the torque converter must remain locked, and the coast clutch must be engaged. The problem with this is that the coast clutch on a stock transmission only has 3 friction plates, and these are smaller than the standard forward clutches. On 2001 and later transmissions, you also run the possibility of damaging the intermediate sprag or "diode," which will result in an immediate transmission teardown. Again, lightly loaded vehicles would have less of a problem with this, but the general idea of an exhaust brake is to be able to slow larger loads without overheating the standard brake system. It is these types of loads that can cause transmission damage. Obviously, a manual transmission would be free from these types of situations.

Second, whenever you increase exhaust backpressure, you need to make sure that the exhaust valve springs are capable of preventing the pressure in the exhaust system from lifting the exhaust valve from the valve seat, as this would result in a collision with the piston. Normal valve spring seat pressure is 70-75 PSI for NEW valve springs and deteriorates from there. Given that the surface area of the back of the exhaust valve is approximately 1.9 square inches, it would take only 40 PSI of exhaust pressure to lift the valve off the seat, even with new valve springs.

To put it simply, if you plan to use an exhaust brake, either through the use of the EBV or by purchasing an aftermarket stand alone unit, you will need to consider the condition of your transmission and exhaust valve springs in order to ensure safe, reliable operation.

copied from the PHP website.

I've got the EBPV brake that JW is talking about and I love it on my tow rig, it keeps 22,000 lbs under control on some decent grades without touching the brakes.

Back