Engine whine?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
2012 3500 fully deleted.

Just noticed the other day while driving slowly through parking lots or navigating through traffic I can hear a whine coming from under the hood. It seems to get a bit louder as you accelerate gently...but at some point the noise of the engine is so loud that I can't hear the whine anymore.

I checked with A/C on and off to see if that was it. Checked power steering fluid levels. What else could make a whine?

It really reminds me of the sound my FASS fuel system makes on my 12V. Not nearly as loud of coarse. The noise is faint enough that I haven't been able to point out an obvious culprit. And of coarse my factory warranty is I'm sure voided from doing the delete kit. It also kinda at lower speeds has a electric motor sound.

Any ideas of what commonly goes wrong on these 6.7's that could have that sound?

Another observation I noticed it seems like it makes the noise for a couple seconds then stops for a couple seconds and keeps repeating this cycle.

For anyone in the near future who may have the same problem. It was a failing water pump that was making the noise. It snapped into two pieces under my hood! Less then 50K miles on the engine

Can prob get that replaced under warranty. Doubt they can say the deletes had something to do with it.

Can prob get that replaced under warranty. Doubt they can say the deletes had something to do with it.

With all the extra soot in the exhaust pipe, it clogs it up, creating more back pressure, which creates more engine heat, which raises water temp to the point that the water pump materials break down and fail. Completely at the fault of the user. But we can get you a new one installed for $1,299.73 and have you back on the road in a jiffy!

I could work at a dealer.

Back