explain to me how to check the vp44 timing

dieselbeef

dick doggin
i wanna make sure its installed right since i know it was done before i got it and the truck just aint what it oughtta be. i did a hrvp and i know i got it on the gear right and stuff but i need to know how to check it w/o pulling the timing cover.
ya know what i mean is could someone have dropped the gear into the case and had to put it back on somehow and got it wrong
can the gear fall off into the case
when i got the truck the vp went dead pedal right after i got it. southeast power in tampa did the swap and it took em over a week..they f'd somethin up and wouldnt tell me what...wouldnt let me see the truck..hidden in the back...dumbass me didnt push it back then ..didnt know nothin. reinforcing the reason i never let anyone werk on my sheit

so how do i know the vp is in the right spot....
show me a way or a tech bulletin...got to be a way for when yer parts are in a pile on the table to line up some marks to git it started and know its in the right place

thanks

gary

The gear can not fall out of place, the key for the pump though, they can fall out and into the timing case. That is probly what happened if they had your truck for a week. Can you tell if they pulled the front cover? If not maybe they dropped the key and had to order or find one and it could be the wrong key.

well ive changed the pump myself since then cuz it wasnt makin any power...cant tell if the cover had been off..id guess no..but i wanted to check it somehow.
i used the key that came with the hrvp..huge boost inpower with that upgrade...guy i sold the pump to is sill running it.
so when yer changing the pump the pumpgear cannot come out of the gear that drives it and change the timing?
hmm...i still wanna verify its right

thanks
gary

No, ther isn't enough room for it to move up or over far enough for the teeth to clear each other.

A truck my buddy purchased from a used car dealer that didnt run right was off one tooth on the injection pump gear to the cam. It wouldnt start with out starting fluid but once running it ran *somewhat* decent. Its anybodys guess how it was off one tooth...

As far as the key... did you make sure it had the same number on the key as on the pump? Is the arrow on the key facing the pump?

yep..the key is correct.

well chit i wasnt hopin to find out it was wrong but it wouldve helped me figure out why its not right

anyways..what is the mechanical way to check the timing

thanks

gary

Pull the front cover and see if the timing marks line up. Not that hard.

Pop the front cover off and make sure the timing marks on all the gears line up

It's physically impossible for a VP gear to jump a tooth with the timing cover on. Not gonna happen. Only thing you can do is pull the cover and see if the marks on the cam and crank line up. Otherwise there's nothing else you can do with it.

You could use a timing light but you'd need another truck for reference to see what it's doing versus what yours is doing.

You get an adapter that clamps on to the injectior line that senses the pulse of fuel going through that line. Also going to need some timing tape and a pointer.

That's because there is no way to adjust the timing on a VP truck like there is a 12v without using a computer.

Pull the front cover... Only way but the only way the gear can be a tooth off is if the front cover was off. But I doubt it's off unless the keyway droped

Back