External wastegate sizing

97singlecab

I am setting my twins up and am trying to figure out what size external gate to run. I'm setting up a 64/71 over an ht3b with a 1.32 housing and I will be spraying alot of nitrous. I want to be able to drive the ht3b as hard as possible. I was thinking about running a 60mm gate, but after seeing one in person i'm not sure I need something that large. What do you guys think.

Bigger the better IMO... They say the bigger the gate the harder to tune which makes sense but I would rather have 2 big than 2 small... If I had it to do over I would have purchased ED's gate. Ck out there wastegate adapter 2 it's pretty sweet!

here is the wastegate i went with. it is a Precision Turbo & Engine 46mm. i know it is not a 50mm but i got it for a good deal from Titan Motorsports.i think it will work perfectly with my Garrett GT4094R

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
i have yet to see anything that a JGS style 50mm couldn't handle. even with 5 big NOS jets rollin the dyno at 1300+hp

50mm gate is what I was leaning towards doing. We were also thinkin, would there be any advantage in running two 38mm gates that are mounted one in the front half and back half of the manifold. Or would it just turn out to be more work than its worth in piping.

i think 1 either in an adapter plate/spacer or just cut in and welder on right before turbo is just fine

Have you ran that twin combo yet? Seems like the 3b would come in kinda small under a 64mm. I wonder if keeping the 64 as a single with a large gate and spray would be a "better" combo?

I haven't ran them as of yet. But the truck they came off of dynoed right over 700 with them on a vp44 truck. I have the 64 on right now and have thought pretty hard about just leaving it on. It is definately hands down the best single turbo I have ran by far.

I'm running E.D.'s 50mm "gate plate", I like it pretty well. No issues, easy install. Just had to shorten the pipe going from the spacer plate to the gate so it would clear the hood. And 50mm is 2" (or really close to it) so its easy to get pipe and stuff to plumb it.

I haven't ran them as of yet. But the truck they came off of dynoed right over 700 with them on a vp44 truck. I have the 64 on right now and have thought pretty hard about just leaving it on. It is definately hands down the best single turbo I have ran by far.

That seems to be inline with a well setup 64mm single as well. Should be a good working combo either way! :nos:

Back