Fan belt replacement

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
On my 2012 3500 C&C the water pump failed this morning which tore the serpentine belt to shreds. I got the water pump replaced.....now im fighting to get the belt back in place.

I watched a couple youtube videos. In one the guy does not take the fan off. Can it be done without taking the fan off? I've tried routing the belt a dozen different ways. No matter how I route the fan it seams I get to the point of needing to put the belt over the fan hub and it only makes sense to take the fan off. I don't have the tools to take the fan off and have never taken one off. What tools are needed to take the fan off?

Need the truck for work Monday...so it looks like ill have a pissed off wife while im working all mothers day trying to get this hunk back together.

I never take the fan off but take the 8mm bolts out of the fan pulley to gain clearance with the balancer. I've yet to not have to do this on a 6.7.

I took the fan pulley loose, I can't see where that helped any. Where do you start the belt from? The top or the bottom. I tried taking the fan shroud loose to snake the belt behind the fan. All that did was make it worse

I usually do it on a lift. I drop a loop of the belt down from up above and then lift the truck and put that loop around the crank, while underneath I also get it over the tensioner and under the ac, as well as the power steering. Then I drop the truck back down and do the rest from the top. Do you have a belt routing diagram?

image.jpg

The fan itself is not in the way, but the clearance between the fan hub pulley and balancer is tight.

Got it. Only took 14 hours....feel like an idiot. I had to start by taking a folded loop of belt and push it between the baancer and fan hub, then go from there to run the belt around each pulley. I think I spent an hour just trying to get the fan hub bolts started after everything was routed.

I always loosen the tensioner slip the belt between the rest is pretty easy. The first time is a PITA

Back