Finding tdc

dodgediesel59

Alright so i know the pump has a timing pin in it as does the timing case on the motor. But, i have an 01 and i beleive the cam sensor relocation kit goes where the timing pin is. What is the easiest most straight forward way to find tdc?

Alright guys thanks i will do some checking. I have the dial indicator for setting the pump timing but was unsure on TDC. Thanks!

I thought of this upon assembly and I put a white paint mark on the dampner on the driver side where it meets the belt. fast and easy and close enough. $.02. But you still have to make sure your not at BDC.
Edit: Not BDC, I meant TDC of the exhaust stroke:doh:

Last edited:
When I did mine, I a line of prick punch marks on the pump gear to line up with the TDC mark on the timing cover, like on the VP pump gear. Always know when you are clost to TDC on compression stroke, then you use the balancer to get to the right spot.

I marked a line on the pump gear first when doing my swap and it helped alot. When I had the head off this last time I used a dial to find TDC. I went to a local shop and bought a small block chevy timing pointer for the dampner. It is not a perfect fit but can be made to wrap up around the dampner nicley. I didnt have an engraver so for the time being I used a fine point permanent marker to trace around the pointer since the degree marks on it are useless. Now all I do is bar it over until the line on the pump gear is up and the mark on the balancer falls right around the pointer.

Thats not a bad idea at all. I know a few places that sell the fancy chrome pointers for sbcs. Maybe i will try to put one on today before i put the front end on. I am so very close to getting this setup running. I just have to tweak the throttle linkage a bit more and i am waiting on my airdog to get here. Hope to have it fired up tomorrow!

Back