Fire ring crush

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Looking for fire ring crush numbers vs failures. In my search for info I was thinking there are probably others who have similar questions.

List the following info
-starting fire ring thickness (.105, .118 etc)
-crushed thickness after removing head
-did a ring fail or tear down for other reason
-gasket type (stock, MLS, copper)
-groove location (head, block, both)

Haisley says a minimum of .015" crush is needed with .016-.017" being ideal. Another source of info I trust tells me they only see about .010" crush on the rings without issue. Just thought we could compile a list of info from guys who have done it and seen what works and what doesnt.

depending on how long you want to wait i will be removin my head real soon due to trashed piston rings...i run haisley rings. 4.550 X .105 rings with radiused grooves in Head only..rings have held exceptionaly well in dd, drag, mudding.....will take full measuremnts when the rings are removed

Also something to think about as stated above . Radiused or flat bottom grooves. Have seen both hold, but have also been told to try to use the radiused cut if they surface(s) have never been touched or decked.

Just my 2 cents.

-Clinton

Here are some specs builders gave me a few years ago when I was pulling my head and thinking about o-ringing it.

We use .041 wire and leave it .010 proud. I believe we put .003 interference on the wire and use a aluminum plate and bolts and nuts to press the wire in even.

Normally I use a .041 SS wire, groove diameter is .039, and leave .010 protrusion. Use the desired headgasket and cut the groove to land on the center of the fire ring.

Here are some specs builders gave me a few years ago when I was pulling my head and thinking about o-ringing it.

We use .041 wire and leave it .010 proud. I believe we put .003 interference on the wire and use a aluminum plate and bolts and nuts to press the wire in even.

Normally I use a .041 SS wire, groove diameter is .039, and leave .010 protrusion. Use the desired headgasket and cut the groove to land on the center of the fire ring.

Not sure if you caught he was referring to firerings, not orings.

Did .021 crush on this one. Thick MLS, .105 rings. 625's at 150lbs hot. Radius groves split between head and block.

Wow, a range of .007 to .021" crush that seems to work. leaves a little room for error i guess.

If memory serves right last time i had head off on my 01 rings were 90-92 thousands crushed. Started out at 4.55 x .105. Factory cummins headgasket with 425 arps. Head is machined with radius grooves only.

Back