First time pulling pointers

BVFDCummins

First time pulling, wandering if you guys that pull regularly would have any good advice. My truck is 05 reg cab long bed. I was thinkin 4lo, also curious as to what pressures you guys would recommend. I have 33 12.5 17 sts's. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

4lo is a good choice. not sure if you have a auto or manual or your power adders but a good place to start is 4lo second gear in the auto and 4lo 3rd gear in the manual. If you start hopping just shut it down if your worried about breaking stuff. traction bars are a good idea, you could also block the rear.

Yea i have a manual. I was thinkin 4th gear on the lo side. I have your average stuff like stg 3 pump, 90 inj, cam, valve springs, 64 turbo, intercooler, sbc iron giant, traction bars, Im going to make blocks for the rear. Any ideas on tire pressures?

Do a search in the sled pulling section for tire pressure. There's alot of info out there. Good luck with the pull!

4 lo will more than likely be too slow for you to compete. i would try second high with your setup. a little more stress on your mainshaft but you should be alright.

Slick/dry tracks...I usually run 35 in the fronts and 45 in the rears...works pretty good on my setup.
Wet/tacky tracks...I'll run 40-45 in the fronts and 50 in the rear...just depends on how wet/tacky/tough the track is.
I run a stock drivetrain in my truck, so I run a little higher pressures to obtain more tire spin instead of putting stress on the drivetrain.

That theory didn't work so well this weekend though.........

DavesPhoneStuff028.jpg

Thanks for the info on the tire pressures. Driveshaft looks like it took a beatin! Broken parts are just parts that need to be replaced with stronger ones!

Back