First time to track (kinda)

Craig_C

Resident Smartass
First time to track in two years, 1/8th mile. Two years ago I ran a 8.13 and 8.14 with 05 common rail, stock turbo, stock cp3, 100hp tips and a stock 200k mile engine.

Now to present day, engine is fresh, QSB480 pistons, EEP street puller cam, mild ported head (smoothed runners and bowls) side draft intake, S366 box charger, 30% new pump, 150hp injectors.

Ran best of 7.91 at 86mph. 1.70 60ft spinning.

Im slightly disappointed that truck didnt go a little faster, given what it did stock. Tuning is an issue, as Im using an old Triple Dog. EGT's seem high, as it will defuel at 1690ish.

The truck comes out of the hole very nice considering the tire spin, but seems to peter out after the 3rd gear shift, locking convertor going into second.

Any advice or thoughts, other than better tuning?? If I could spool the turbo easier on the line would be great. I think Im getting the EGT's so high just to spool on the line that it ends up defueling down track.

I have a nitrous kit, but no gate just yet. I might run a small shot to spool easier. Will nitrous, a small amount bring the temps down??

Any advice, tips, pointers?? Other than sticky tires and better tuning??

better tuning, what boost levels are you running?
and dont feel too bad, around this level it takes a lot to actually go faster!

It will see a hair over 60psi on Crazy Larry. I was leaving the line around 30psi. I need to figure out the lowest boost I can leave at and stay on top of the turbo to help with the traction issue.

I know my tuning is a major issue, just out of funds at the moment for an upgrade to UDC.

You shouldn't have any spool up issues with a s366

I would suggest launching @ less than 20 psi boost.

Maybe even try some better tuning. But honestly, i would have guessed that setup to make around 650-700 which is pretty in line with the 7.91 you ran (close to a 12.3 in the quarter is what that equates to, and assuming you weigh in around 7500 lbs that puts you right around the 650hp mark i was guessing at)

Dual fuelers and better tuning and i would imagine you could get to the 720-740ish hp range.

You shouldn't have any spool up issues with a s366

I would suggest launching @ less than 20 psi boost.

This!!^
If I left any harder than 12-15psi it would just blow the tires off. I ran a 7.79 but consistent 7.9s with that same setup and Efi Live.

Driving everyday spoolup is fine. Just on crazy larry it fuels so hard I guess Im actually overfueling the turbo on the line. Ive been thinking of going to a S467 but Id say without better tuning it will be even worse.

Im happy with it so far, especially for the first time out at the track with it.

Last edited:
Back