First Timer: Looking for Advice

I6>V8

Hello everyone,
Looking for some good advice in respect to sled pulling. I have been itching to get into pulling for a while now and may be purchasing a truck here soon to pull in the work stock class. Truck is a 01 6spd that already has some good things going for it done (traction bars, dual disc cluch, not 53 block lol, etc.).

Looking for some wisdom from those of you that have experience, other than "don't do it, or your break the bank" kind of advice. I know what I am getting into, lol.

So anything in terms of driving technique, tools to bring, tips and trick that I may not think of, is the kind of advice I am looking for.

Your response is most appreciated!

You may want to start with 2-3 specific questions and you'd be more likely to get some good advice.

If the 01 6spd is a long bed and has 410 gears is a decent start. To be competitive you will have to lose the vp44 and go to a p pump . Invest in a good pump from a reputable builder. Your clutch will not likely hold the kind of power a p pump pulling engine will make, so plan on investing in a good pulling clutch. Just FYI a good pulling clutch is not street friendly. I don't know who your pulling with but around here it takes close to 700hp to compete in the work stock class. Unfortunately most of the winners are actually running fully built engines. Remember dual rear tires put more power down but are way harder on drivelines. You really do have to decide how serious you are and will your budget handle the stress of pulling. It only took 1 block, 1 transmission, and 4 rear ends to put an end to my pulling days. I broke an input shaft in my trans and over spun my engine . Mind you this was a long time ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Change of plans.
Picking up a '96 12v regular cab. Has a comp dual disc in it and just a 0 fuel plate. No tractions bars though. Should I buy traction bars pre-made or just have the Amish weld shop make me some and have them reinforce the hitch? Also need a pulling hitch so I could probably get them to make one too. Thoughts?

Yes definitely get your self a set of traction bars! Good way to break u joints aND axles without them. Also have them make you a set of adjustable suspension stops. Not hard to make at all really.. as far as hitch goes. See what the height it sits at now is and go from there. Most everywhere is a 26 inch hook point maximum. That truck Is a much better starting platform also. Good luck man. Do some seaching on this site and Google for alot of good ideas and pictures.

Well it's official, picked her up today. Updated my signature...

Thanks for the advice guys. Noticed a couple of things:

-The truck needs tires. It has 17" wheels with spacers and 285/70r tires. What size do you guys recommend? Or try to pick up 16in wheels because I imagine that tires are cheaper?.. truck has 3.55 gears in it too, so that is a factor. Also should I put lockers in the front and rear?

- Also it has the stock lift pump but I was told it was new. No fuel pressure gauge though. Should I get one?
- Is the stock pump up to the task? Or am should I consider a FASS/AIRDOG?
- not sure if the KDP was done either... Oh and it has stock injectors too apparently but it smokes pretty good, and timing was never messed with, just has the ground down fuel plate. So what do you recommend I do there?

Last thing stock turbo, but was told the wastegate was removed? Or plugged or something I don't know. Boy I have a lot to learn!

I know I was kind of all over the place there, your patience is appreciated.

You need to sit down and read for awhile. Seriously

What class do you plan on pulling in is a HUGE question. I'm not sure why I am in here as I don't know a damn thing about sled pulling but I know how to ask questions and do my own research better than you that's for sure. Asking if a stock lift pump is going to be up to the task in here is like asking an alcoholic if one beer will hold them over on a 3 day camping trip.

Go get traction bars on it, put some bump stops on, and hook it to the sled.

You aren't going to come out of the gate swinging at everybody with a new build, especially if you don't know anything about a wastegate.

You will learn a lot more, have a lot more fun, and waste a lot less money if you just start hooking it and learning.

Back