FL80 or similar rig with Cummins M11

Signature600

THA MAN!
I need some pictures of the engine, mounts, radiator, fan, etc...just basic engine pictures.

I have a FL80 with a 3126E that is gutless, but I have an M11-330 sitting here that should be a dandy transplant. Just need to see how much stuff is different from one to the other.

Chris

Well..... I think pics might be rare. The FL80's had the 3126, 5.9, and 8.3. The newer ones have the Mercedes. You'll have to take pictures when your swap is done. :)

I did manage to do some checking with the numbers you sent me. It looks like the flywheel housing and flywheel is good to go on that 9 Speed.

I've found a couple online that have them in it...I'm gonna see if they can send me some pics of the engine compartment.

This thing is gonna be tight.

Jeff, any idea if the transmission could be moved back and the bell housing mounts could be used in place of the tranny mounts. Right now, the tranny is holding the back of the engine...I don't think it will fit unless we move it back a bit.

Chris

Stupid truck dealers...every one of them that had FL80's with M11's listed, were freaking C8.3's...morons.

Looks like she won't fit like I thought...From all the measuring I've done this morning, I need about 6" longer hood and more room between the radiator and firewall to make the M11 fit...

Back to the drawing board...I could just put one of my Sisu Diesels in it and be done...or just find an 8.3L, or even a 5.9L would be better than what I have!

Chris

Could work...wiring might be a problem.

I have 513CID, 250hp SisuDiesels sitting here...we use them in tractors, and I know they would work great, I could even bump them to 350hp+ and they'll still live. But it's not exactly a truck engine, and it could take a little more engineering....although, once you find a flywheel, the rest should be easy.

Chris

I'm thinking a fl 112 like I have are the smallest in the line to have the L10-M11. The 8.3 ain't to bad of an engine if you turn them up some. I like the m11 pulls 50,000 pretty decent doesn't pull 72,000 very good.

I used to run a fl series that had a 12v in it, what an amazing motor. That little truck would just fly.

It's gonna get an ISB195 that Snedge will work a little ECM magic on, making it an ISB275, then a set of Mach 4's, 60ET/65/14 charger, and a EZ or TS MVP and we'll see how she rolls

I know that combo on a VP 24v is good for 400hp at the wheels, it should move on out even in a FL80 @ 50K lbs:D

Of course, no one will know where the switch for the box will be but me, so they won't get the extra HP from that...:hehe:
Chris

Ive got an L10 thats a fresh overhaul that would be a good one to use. just had a 7000 dollar in frame 2 years ago. It might have 5000 miles on the rebuild.

Yeah, trust me, I know...but they won't fit. Tried measuring every way I could, just not enough room.

Chris

fl70 conversion

we are starting this project on a fl70 will know more after this weekend but we had a fl112 host truck so we can stretch the fram 10" and have to use the fl112 hood and use the cab mounts of the fl112 to make room for the engine will post pic as we get done. only thing not sure of if the engine harnest will plug into the cab fl70 with out changing the cab wiring.

Back