Fleece coolant bypass

Stockguy61

Just ordered the coolant bypass for my 06 common rail. Has anyone installed this while the motor is in the truck and any tips would be appreciated.

Not fleece but same general setup. It's too easy.
Take a plug off, screw stuff together, put thermostat housing spacer and done.
It's a really quick simple job. 30 minutes should be enough.
I pieced my own together for less than $150 with all quality parts and ss hoses.
And am ordering another set for my own truck. But that'll be around April when the weather lightens up and the damn butterflies come out.

Last edited:
To elaborate,
you're just going to tap into the plug between cylinders 5/6 for your input and return to the new thermostat housing spacer.
12V and 24V I believe have to tap into the rear of the block.

The fleece bypass goes in the back of the block so not quite that easy. Take a long bar from underneath and hit the opposite corner of the freeze plug to spin it in the hole. Once it's spun grab it with some needle nose pliers and it should pull out.

The fleece bypass goes in the back of the block so not quite that easy. Take a long bar from underneath and hit the opposite corner of the freeze plug to spin it in the hole. Once it's spun grab it with some needle nose pliers and it should pull out.

Oh, well in that case, f that, too much work to reach back there.
The set up i did was i explained. I used an Aquatrol 55 series SS valve.
I don't think plugging the freeze plugs is very wise. They kind of have a purpose, let u know chits broken. Lol.
U can't just run the kit without the freeze plug plate?

Last edited:
I found it easier to remove the down pipe. Extra long pry bar comes out with a couple taps. Make sure you lube the oring.

I removed the down pipe and front driveshaft to have as much access to it as i could.

Since the bolt holes that are used by the FPE kit are not used from the factory, you may want to run a tap in the threads to clean out any dirt.

I had to attach the flex hose to the t-stat housing riser with the riser off the block due to the lift hook.

Oh, well in that case, f that, too much work to reach back there.
The set up i did was i explained. I used an Aquatrol 55 series SS valve.
I don't think plugging the freeze plugs is very wise. They kind of have a purpose, let u know chits broken. Lol.

The coolant gets bypassed to the rear freeze plug you dont just bolt a plate over it:doh: coolant can still expand out the hole when it needs to

Hey, uhhhh... The Fleece (and a few other's) bypass kit takes place of the rear freeze plug. There is actually a secondary thermostat in the bypass itself. Coolant flows through a stainless braid hose up to the factory thermostat housing, downstream of the factory thermostat.

cummins_coolant_bypass_kit_03-07_manual_all_6_7l.png

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of the freeze plugs being utilized on 3rd Gens. It doesn't seem all that necessary.

Hey, uhhhh... The Fleece (and a few other's) bypass kit takes place of the rear freeze plug. There is actually a secondary thermostat in the bypass itself. Coolant flows through a stainless braid hose up to the factory thermostat housing, downstream of the factory thermostat.

cummins_coolant_bypass_kit_03-07_manual_all_6_7l.png
That seems pretty nifty with the second thermostat. I apologize for any misinformation I provided.
Looks like a nice setup but I'm satisfied with a straight 19" ss hose with a valve rather than struggling getting to the rear.

That seems pretty nifty with the second thermostat. I apologize for any misinformation I provided.
Looks like a nice setup but I'm satisfied with a straight 19" ss hose with a valve rather than struggling getting to the rear.

No struggle 30-45min install around here if I remember right. Maybe a HR on a bad day lol

Ryan

Back