For the Chummins guys 73-87

j_da_fox

Snow Loving Schmuck
I've seen a lot of guys put 12v in the 73-87 chevys. I want to know, for those that have, how are they holding up? Where, if any, are the weak points on the truck side? Is this just cool for a little while until troubles occur? Im considering doing the swap, but if the truck can't hold up, I'll just buy another dodge and be done with it. All input is appreciated.

Jason

Anybody?? I know the difficulties involved with putting the motor into these trucks, but how do they hold up?

Still working on my conversion, I think alot depends on how you do the conversion. I have seen good work .......and alot of shotty work.

do the work the right time and in that type of truck you shouldnt have any issues. at most you might have to replace ball joints and if you go crazy on the hp and drive like you stole it then of course you will have issues

Start with a 1 ton and if you build a 4x4 use a Dana 60 front.

My two trucks with the same drive train have been 100% reliable as far as the conversion work. I have replaced brake pads and a rear axle seal but that is normal wear. My weakest link is my clutch. When I built the dually I upgraded to a Valair and I can still slip it in 5th gear. Valair has offered to replace it but I can't find the time to remove it and be without a tow rig.

I recently replaced the crappy marine injectors with a set of 5x12 Red Oak Diesel injectors and it is running much smoother and cleaner and it feels like the power is up. If I ever build another that is the only injector I will use.

My longest towing trip so far was 5 hours one way and I have about 30k miles total between the two trucks.

PKirby not to hijack the thread but you might want to check them injectors it might of only been my set i had from them but their pop off pressure is way too low mine were roughly ~80 bar lower than what i considered normal.

i would also agree with him on starting with a 1 ton if you can or at least a 3/4 ton suspension

PKirby not to hijack the thread but you might want to check them injectors it might of only been my set i had from them but their pop off pressure is way too low mine were roughly ~80 bar lower than what i considered normal.

I am going to start a thread about this in the 12 valve section.

Back