Fuel & Oil...Not such a great combo

CR From Hell

Never Satisfied
Been having some rough luck with my truck lately and wanted to see what you guys thought. Installed a brand new BW 475/87 in the beginning of April. Drove it about 75-100 miles testing it the weekend I put it on and when I pull the filter and checked the play I saw that the comp wheel had barely kissed the cover. Knew the bearings were done so I sent it back to be looked at.

Upon inspection they found the oil inside to be very thin and had a funny smell. The shaft was also milky in color. So I checked my oil level and it was reading about 1/4" above full on the dipstick. Thinking it was fuel I pulled the injectors out today, inspected them as well as the crossover tubes. I understand there can be internal cracks but as far as I could tell the injectors/nozzles looked as new as the day I got them and the tubes had no signs of a leak or knicks in the tip.

I did find one thing that was suspicious to me. The crossover tube hold down nut on #6 was damn near finger tight. Didn't take much to spin it with a rachet. My question is would/could that be enough to cause a small fuel leak and fill the crankcase? I've heard loose crossover tubes can cause rough idle and low rail pressure, none of which my truck suffered from before/after the turbo died. I'd love to hear some opinions on what/where else to check for a leak, and thanks for taking the time to post them!

I did. Popped a couple of the solenoids off just after Christmas last year, sent them to Exergy and I put them back in, in January of this year. Haven't had an issue up until this point. As a side note, I check my oil 3-4 times a week and after every pass, could've missed it before but I doubt it.

Got the oil tested at a big truck shop here in town. They say it came back clean, no fuel and nothing out of the ordinary. I will say that I agree with my turbo shop, the oil did smell funny and was surprisingly thin for only ~400 miles worth of use. (Shell Rotella 15W-40)

Attachments

• Oil Test Results.pdf
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Back