Fuel sending unit issue? Stumped?

Okay now we are getting somewhere, if the sending unit itself is different for a 97 than the wiring may be slightly different so if you get the correct one you maybe just fine...

Agreed.......but why does my fuel gauge not go all the way past Full when I ground the hot wire? It only goes up to half a tank and stops. :what:

It may run off of a different set of resistance readings depending on where the float is compared to what the 97 does. That is what is going to dictate where the needle points on your gauge. I would revert to what Scott sent you, you may not be getting the right amount of ohms to get it to full just by grounding it

Last edited:
Met up with Scott again today....this time I got his 95 cluster out of his old wrecked truck.....fingers crossed it appears to be working?! :rockwoot:

Will report back in a day or two when I get some more miles on it and fuel in it.

Good deal Mark. How many miles were on your truck? Now it has @ 375K LOL

Still no workie :soap: Ran out of fuel this morning (been carrying 2 gals in my toolbox just in case)....filled it up after work today....gauge hasn't moved since I put it in Saturday. :bang

In the trouble shooting directions Scott gave me it said jumper the hot to the ground and the fuel gauge should go all the way to the "high end of the scale"....mine stops at half a tank? :what:

Guess I'm going to reinstall my original 97 Cluster and order a new sending unit from ChryslerPartsDirect.Com for an actual "97"

Last edited:
When you say cluster are you referring to the gauge clusters from a 95? Was it in complete working order? Have you checked your wires coming from the gauge to the fuel sending unit for resistance? basically get a probe on both ends of the same wire to check and see for anything higher than I would say 1 ohm.

Did you do the test that was associated with the 2 pictures I posted for you?

When you say cluster are you referring to the gauge clusters from a 95? Was it in complete working order? Have you checked your wires coming from the gauge to the fuel sending unit for resistance? basically get a probe on both ends of the same wire to check and see for anything higher than I would say 1 ohm.

Did you do the test that was associated with the 2 pictures I posted for you?

I swapped in Scott's complete gauge cluster from his totaled 95, since I purchased and installed the sending unit he had intended for this truck I thought it might fix it and he offered it trying to help me out.

The fuel gauge appeared to be working (I was guessing how much fuel was in it)....so I swapped my oddometer into Scott's (95) cluster and installed it in my dash.

EVERY gauge works correctly except the fuel gauge! :bang it has not moved from a hair above 1/4 tank since installation, even when I filled up last night.

I tried both the trouble shooting guide I posted that Scott shared with me, and the tests in the pictures you posted.

All wires check out fine for continuity, and I have power and ground at the plug on the frame rail. I wish I had a friend close by with a 97 I could use to test my theory before shelling out another $50. :kick:

Okay, sorry to be anal about this but do a resistance check instead of continuity. You could still have continuity and have high resistance in the wire going to the sending unit. That is how this gauge works based on specific resistance readings which will correctly give you the float level in your tank.

Okay, sorry to be anal about this but do a resistance check instead of continuity. You could still have continuity and have high resistance in the wire going to the sending unit. That is how this gauge works based on specific resistance readings which will correctly give you the float level in your tank.

By all means I'm open to ANY idea's at this point, especially ones that don't cost $$!

Let me know of the results from that test lol it really could be anything from a wire that is too tired and was bent too much to some corrosion etc

Back