Fuel tank mods for foaming?

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
Anybody know of any mods to cure the irratating foaming problem in GMT-400 (88-98) trucks? My half-ton 6.5 does it bad... If you're not careful, it'll spray fuel and foam all over you when you're filling it. And, when the nozzle kicks off, you can get 3 more gallons of fuel in by filling, waiting, filling, waiting...... Etc..... I've got an 88 that I'm doing a cummins conversion on, and I have a gas tank here that is going in the truck, and wondered if anybody had a good idea to help cure this behavior...... My dodge never did this. :(

One thing I thought of is this: The vent line attaches to the sender, but has a straw that goes down into the tank almost 3 inches..... I wonder if that straw there catches fuel and routes it up the vent line, effectively vapor locking the tank, which then makes it "cough" the foam up the fill tube? Maybe cutting off the straw on the vent tube line would cure it?

Just wondering what you guys' ideas on the subject are......

On ford superdutys, we cut the vent tubes off inside the tank to solve that. i wonder if the gm tanks are setup the same.

Back