fuild dampner vs ati dampner

Thats easy and does NOT relate to a better product at all.....Its called SPONSORSHIP!

Fluidampr has no reason to give away their parts to people who already have enough money to buy their own.Thats a HUGE check to stroke if you want your decal on the side of ANY Cup series.NASCAR mandates what parts you use and what decals get placed on the car and where.

Fluidampr hands down is the better product.

Even if that is the case, it still shows that the ATI damper does it's job well I would think.

They both do the job, but they is a lot of animosity between the two. I have used both and both make a great deal of difference on diesel engines taking harmonics out of the crank and gear train. I helped Fluidamper develop the first American made TDI balancer. I turn my TDI just a little over 7200 rpm’s and the bearings loot good.
I talked ATI in to making me a balancer for the Cummins program about 10 years ago

They both do the job, but they is a lot of animosity between the two. I have used both and both make a great deal of difference on diesel engines taking harmonics out of the crank and gear train. I helped Fluidamper develop the first American made TDI balancer. I turn my TDI just a little over 7200 rpm’s and the bearings loot good.
I talked ATI in to making me a balancer for the Cummins program about 10 years ago
Greg, I'm not saying you didn't have a hand in it or anything, but it was Dave Mitchell who had the first ATI for the 5.9 cummins. If you'd like, I can go dig up the receipt for second one that came out ATI's door.

I remember having to send them a print of the front of the crank. The balancer I recieved was a BBC shell and Cummins hub. as to a traditional ballancer, Dave might have been involved in that.

here is that balancer . its lite and aluminum, but the hub is the same as the cummins street set up

100_0014-2.jpg
[/

Last edited:
Wanna bet?????????

Thats easy and does NOT relate to a better product at all.....Its called SPONSORSHIP!

Fluidampr has no reason to give away their parts to people who already have enough money to buy their own.Thats a HUGE check to stroke if you want your decal on the side of ANY Cup series.NASCAR mandates what parts you use and what decals get placed on the car and where.

Fluidampr hands down is the better product.

How much you wanna lose?
I suggest you call Fluidampr and ask WHY they arent used by Nascar teams/engine builders. They will probably tell you. Different engine builders disagree as to what rpm Fluidampr starts to fall behind, BUT it is agreed that it is between 5600-7200 rpm. I can provide tests of dampners from a couple different teams. They ALL show roughly what the first link shows below. This particular test shows the highest rpm that the fluidampr became the wrong choice. FYI, ATI does not sponsor Nascar teams, they MAY offer contingency money. I have several lower ends from SB2 engines from DEI and Hendricks. They ALL come with ATI dampers with a Big block crank snout, Sonny Bryant, Chambon or Winberg billet cranks and Carrillo rods,coated with EDM oiling. Here is some proof for you.
Laskey Racing Online Store
Tech Talk: The Ring’s The Thing – Inside Elastomer Engine Dampers - Dragzine

That being said, I still think in a diesel running 5k rpm or under, either will work fine, BUT IF YOU ARE TURNING IN THE 5K RANGE CALL THE BALANCER MAKER OF YOUR CHOICE AND GIVE THEM SPECIFICS, as I believe most of the diesel dampners are built for stock or close to stock rpm ranges. Call Ohio Crankshaft and see if they would use a Fluidampr if it was FREE!! Read the Dragzine link about sizing of the dampner.

Last edited:
How much you wanna lose?
I suggest you call Fluidampr and ask WHY they arent used by Nascar teams/engine builders. They will probably tell you. Different engine builders disagree as to what rpm Fluidampr starts to fall behind, BUT it is agreed that it is between 5600-7200 rpm. I can provide tests of dampners from a couple different teams. They ALL show roughly what the first link shows below. This particular test shows the highest rpm that the fluidampr became the wrong choice. FYI, ATI does not sponsor Nascar teams, they MAY offer contingency money. I have several lower ends from SB2 engines from DEI and Hendricks. They ALL come with ATI dampers with a Big block crank snout, Sonny Bryant, Chambon or Winberg billet cranks and Carrillo rods,coated with EDM oiling. Here is some proof for you.
Laskey Racing Online Store
Tech Talk: The Ring’s The Thing – Inside Elastomer Engine Dampers - Dragzine

That being said, I still think in a diesel running 5k rpm or under, either will work fine, BUT IF YOU ARE TURNING IN THE 5K RANGE CALL THE BALANCER MAKER OF YOUR CHOICE AND GIVE THEM SPECIFICS, as I believe most of the diesel dampners are built for stock or close to stock rpm ranges. Call Ohio Crankshaft and see if they would use a Fluidampr if it was FREE!! Read the Dragzine link about sizing of the dampner.

Exactly, these teams spend millions on 5hp and aren't going to run a substandard product and risk their engine because of $50,000 in sponsorship money. I'm not saying that I think the fluidamper is junk, but there's definitely a reason that the guys that have the most to lose are running an ati.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

The engine builders actually do the testing and use what works best for them. If a team said, "we want your engine, but we want a Fluidampr." They would be told, "sorry, we wont sell you an engine." As it would/could give the builder a bad name. Even our engine supplier for our lowly $15k IMCA engines use ATI. Our USMTS stuff is more. Fluidampr isnt even an option by any of them, that I am aware of.

.:: Mullins Race Engines ::.
Here is our engine package. Ryan is a better driver than ours however.LOL See the tach hit the 7k rpm max on the tach? See the car accelerate another nearly 20mph after that? What rpm you think we are turning?

Comparing Nascar low rotating mass low HP high RPM motors that change rpm ranges isn't the same as big HP slower motors that remain more constant for shorter times.I wouldn't compare many of the same scenarios between Nascar and pulling and drag racing.One shoe doesnt fit all.

I agree...........

Comparing Nascar low rotating mass low HP high RPM motors that change rpm ranges isn't the same as big HP slower motors that remain more constant for shorter times.I wouldn't compare many of the same scenarios between Nascar and pulling and drag racing.One shoe doesnt fit all.

Read the bottom of most of my posts, however, the rapid rpm rise when coming on boost is a challenge for the dampner. You understand Fluidampr must be warm to be effective, correct? Do you warm your dampner on cold nights before a pull or pass? Thought not. I was present for a test comparing a cold Fluidampr to a warm one. It was far from anything I would like on my junk.
Funny, most people wouldnt consider 850-900 hp "low hp" from 358cu normally aspirated, now some are injected, and comparatively speaking, a nascar engine accelerates from 5500-6k up to 9+k over the length of a straightaway. They also come DOWN from rpm slowly. Pay attention to that last sentence. Its a hint.

I see in post 28 I forgot a video. Here it is
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x93bGzkhGT4"]Ryan Gustin Heat Race Humboldt Speedway USMT Modifieds 3-8-13 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back