Ghost in the machine

dangerous06

diesel tech
Everything I've read is about failures! Mine is a fresh rebuild made it 75 miles and then no forward gears! Has reverse! OK Checked line pressure Good, Gov pressure good, Servo pressures good!!? OK I screwed something up So I took the tranny out looked it over nothing wrong Put in my spare rebuild fresh used the same VB and again no forward gears! All pressures even better! HAs reverse!! WTF OK changed the VB to a new unit tested at Goerend all is good!
I did service the Transfer case was black tar in there! And it's the only constant still in the equation. Can it be possible the Transfer case failed? Only in forward? 4 lo gives me a little forward want to but nothing really. Spent two days bheating myself up anybody ever have an issue like this or a transfer case failure?:nail:

Sounds like t-case failure.
Is it an electric shift?

Mark.

I don't have a good 273.
Same thing goes in them that does in the 271, range fork, usually.
The shift motor also goes bad, too.

Mark.

ok took the T case apart nothing wrong I could see was shifting properly and fork was good. So Now I'm on the Actual O.D. housing. What in there could be wrong? How does it effect forward motion? Still have reverse and all pressures are in spec! Only thing still in the equation is the tail housing which I swapped onto a 2 wheel drive tranny I had on the shelf. The TQ doesn't care forward or reverse and it works great in reverse!!

Can you believe my builder left the forward clutch pack "Rear" too loose causing the piston seal to blow out! on both trannies! He's fired! But on a good note I am really good at these trannies now tear down inspect and rebuild is a cake walk now!! Dave at Goerend is top notch when it comes to diagnosis we walked thru the whole tranny together and found the issue just by talking about what does what!

Back