Girdle clearance

TheBigNasty

Project bish
Does anyone see a problem with this? It's at least .035" at its closest point to the bolt. Sorry for the bad pic, but my good phone is "in the shop".

EE28A647-8EBF-411A-8D7E-06DC921B7857.jpg

Not trying to cause you anymore trouble, but I read awhile back that the rod caps need to be clearanced for oil shed. The way factory rods are. I know different thing as what your asking. Sorry not trying to get off subject.

Not trying to cause you anymore trouble, but I read awhile back that the rod caps need to be clearanced for oil shed. The way factory rods are. I know different thing as what your asking. Sorry not trying to get off subject.

Had a reply stating the same but didn't hit send yet.

If your planning on big rpms I would allow for more relief in the sides of the cap only to allow oil to escape at high Rpms. Rod cap to crank journel side clearance. I went .035" on each side of the Cunningham's caps as they were really tight fit coming in standard. Not sure what others have done but mine works well up to 5200 ish.

def. need to clearence the rod caps at least .020 per side. and the girdle as well i would perfer to see .060 on girdles. more work but will save you big headache
later.

Thanks. I'll have to see how much the local place wants to do it. May be easier than getting more time on the mill. Glad yall pointed this out before I checked and balanced them.

Thanks. I'll have to see how much the local place wants to do it. May be easier than getting more time on the mill. Glad yall pointed this out before I checked and balanced them.

Shouldn't have much of anything to do with balance. You're taking the same amount off of all of them, and a very small amount at that.

Sorry to derail but is it necessary to clearance the rod caps on a 6.7 that'll see no higher than 3200rpm? I have heard it's not an issue until over 4000 but would like to hear what you guys think. I would assume that factory clearance at the least is ideal?

So just put the caps in a cap grinder and take .035" off each side? Sounds simple but I think you'd still wanna double check the weight.

Back