Going to look at a 6.0 need a little input/help....

BlackasCoal

Morning guys. Looking for some help.

Well going to look at a 2005 king ranch F-250 with 110,000ish miles. My brothers been in for a year now so has some money to buy a vehicle on his own. Hes pre-approved for the loan and has a 99 Dodge cummins to trade so if the truck looks and runs good we might grab it.

The dealership wants 17k for it which I think is low. I was wondering if you guys can take a look tell me what you think and what to look for. We're both more versed towards dodges but he's always wanted a ford so I'm trying to help him out and find a good one just don't know too much about them. Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated! Attempting to go Wednesday or Thursday before I go back to pendleton. Thanks again!

Link:
AutoTrader.com

Who ever owned that truck took very good care of it because the seats in the King Ranch trucks are uncoated leather and are very labor intensive to take care of. Make sure your brother understands that 6.0's are a labor of love and can be real PITA with the fact you have to change the oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k if you want the injectors to live.

Since I bought my truck in 08 with 123,000 miles on it and it currently has 194,500.

Two injectors
FICM
Head gaskets
ARP Studs
Four Batteries (6.0's are battery killers)
Two alternators
Turbo Charger
EGR Delete
New Oil cooler

There's more but that's all I can think of that's major at the moment.

Last edited:
I've told him time and time again but he's a stubborn young kid and has his mind set. He has a 99 5.9 now with 230k and a fresh rebuilt transmission. Other than fighting rust and the usually up keep on a truck with those miles its not bad. Easily said it starts every morning and runs strong. Just aint to pretty up close. I told him to keep it and run it till the up keep is more than a payment but money is burning holes in his pockets.

That king ranch was in great shape! That's probably why it's sold already. So now were on the hunt again. Found another one ill try to get the link so you guys can see. If anyone around the coastal Carolina has seen a good one please feel free to chime in!

Disclaimer: not trying to start a dodge ford battle. They've all got their problems.

Yes it does. Nice catch good to have a second set of eyes look at it. I called and the guy "walked out and made sure it was leather" for me. If we make the drive I'll be pissed

If you are still looking!! I have owed several 6.0's. look under the hood on all lariat n king ranch trucks. Right over the coolant reservoir look n see if has shot antifreeze on that insulation. Also the first thing car lots n people do is take that out n try to pawn a truck needing work off!!!!

I loved my 06. It last 152,000 miles stock before it needed head gaskets. We did deletes, oil cooler, oring port polish heads, 190cc injectors, sct programmer, s&b intake, 5" exhaust all at once. Had some injector problems at 180,000 and sold the truck with 230,000. Not a bad truck for a good dd. I wouldn't recommend one to tow with though.

Changed oil and fuel filters every 5k. Service tranny every 30,000k n never had any trouble with the stock tranny or tc!!

Last edited:
Poor fuel mileage with any kind of load. And my 5.9 would pull alot better. I loved it for running around with light loads but it didn't like my 40' gooseneck at all. It will do the job I just know from experience there are better things out there for towing. With that said it was the fastest truck I ever owned, a blast to drive!!!!! I miss it sow
Times but we all have to grow up sometime. Lol!!

I'm not saying that it could tow it just struggled sometimes. If I had a camper or something to pull I would use it. I just wouldn't tow on a daily basis With it is all.

Back