Good Scan Tool

motormayhem

Can anyone recomend a good scan tool for doing diagnostics? I want to buy one that is relatively cheap,but can read live PCM data streams so I do thing like compare desired and actual gov pressure sensor readings while driving.

I have a barely used Snap on Solus pro I'd sell cheap. I've been wanting to replace it with Auto Enginuity.

I also have a Solus Pro, its a good scanner. I would mind parting ways with it, as long as I get what I want.

Innova makes pretty nice code readers for around that.

Or, You could buy the basic Auto Enginuity for $250, then upgrade to the enhanced later.

Innova makes pretty nice code readers for around that.

Or, You could buy the basic Auto Enginuity for $250, then upgrade to the enhanced later.

What model Innova's are nice? I was looking at the 3160B model which appears to do live data, but im sure there are other models that do it as well.

What are the benefits to the Auto Enginuity setup? I was reading though it a little and basically it is a computer program that acts as a scanner with a special hardware interface. If it does about the same stuff as the Innova I feel like the packaging of the Innova would be nice to have to just throw under the back seat till needed, but if the auto enginuity is a much more powerful and adaptable setup it probably makes more sense to go with that. Also what cant I do without the enhanced version. I mainly want to use it now for looking into some transmission issues so it needs to do that right off the bat.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Last edited:
X3 on the solus , I have the elite . it works wonders . 200 or so isn't a very big budget man , im going to upgrade to the modis soon and that's a $4,000 upgrade :( matco makes a pocket scanner for around 300 that's pretty good

http://www.autoenginuity.com/
Auto Enginuity, for $250 is a code reader/live data tool just like the innova.

For another $230, you can add brand specific bidirectional control and non OBDII sensor data.

Pretty much the same thing as the snapon scan tools, except you only have to buy what you need.

So say I just want bidirectional control on dodges because that is what I drive and I don't give a chit about anyone else. I can buy a used snapon solus for $1500, or I can buy the Auto Enginuity scan tool for $250 and the Chrysler enhancement for $230 and do the same thing.

I had a craftsman OBDI/OBDII that was a rebadged innova. It was a great code reader, but I needed more. If I had to start over I'd buy Auto Enginuity, and be done.

Walmart has Acer netbooks for $200

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like Auto Enginuity is probably the most cost effective solution for me anyways.

Back