Gov. Spring problem

24vbummins

Hello all just looking for a little guidance.
I'm preparing for a p pump swap on my 98.5 and ran into an interesting problem with the pump I am using, a 230 out of an fl50 freightliner. I was putting 4k springs in it, did the first side just fine, spun the pump to the other side and the lock nut was loose on the stud. It was only down about .018 while the other side was within spec at .045. It wasn't even locked on the stud it was so loose. When I put it back together I set it at .045 but I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if I did the right thing. Thanks.

Why would you use perception vs tangible measurement?

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Why would you use perception vs tangible measurement?

X2.
I have reference points I always try to square my caliper with to help make sure I get reliable measurements. I tried by clicks after I had take a measurement, I was off by one turn. That method may work for some but it didn't work for me lol.
Ive done a couple sets that one side was much looser than the other. I just set them back like they were and try it. If it feels sketchy and to loose I tighten the loose one a revolution and loosen the other side one revolution. I'm not sure if that's correct or not but I've had good results. That could be luck lol. I always try to write the measurements down, that way if something is off, I have a record of where I started and where its at now.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I know I'm gonna get yelled at to search but what is the measurement in clicks? And I set it by perception because the locknut wasn't even down one click. I spun it off with a magnet. I kept the measurements so I can go back and set it to how it was but the thought of the nut not being even close to 1 click down worried me lol.

After some searching I found initial click plus 4 clicks. I will do that today if the consensus is that clicks is a better measurement. Thanks for helping and I didn't mean to step on any toes trying to seem smarter than whoever may have set the springs in this pump before me.

I think you took what I said the wrong way. Clicks are a feeling. People will have a different idea of where that first click is. By bear paws aren't that sensitive so my first click could be in one or two from yours. Stud protrusion isn't a feeling or opinion.
And no, I suppose not all studs are the same length. Infinite wisdom.
Do both. You've lost nothing that way.

I think you took what I said the wrong way. Clicks are a feeling. People will have a different idea of where that first click is. By bear paws aren't that sensitive so my first click could be in one or two from yours. Stud protrusion isn't a feeling or opinion.
And no, I suppose not all studs are the same length. Infinite wisdom.
Do both. You've lost nothing that way.

Even if the studs are different, you would be at the same depth when measuring from the same stud at the same spot, right? For me its not about the measurement, its about getting it where it was originally set.

I baseline set mine with initial plus 2 clicks. I fine tune by checking the retainer bounce with a long skinny screwdriver and my index finger. Every pump responds different. Remember to check the spring height and the lower seats.

Even if the studs are different, you would be at the same depth when measuring from the same stud at the same spot, right? For me its not about the measurement, its about getting it where it was originally set.

i agree with this ^ thats how i set mine

side topic why would you go to initial an then 2 more clicks ?

when i did mine i didnt hear any clicks?

Most people go initial plus 3 or 4 clicks. If did the initial only with no additional clicks, they would be way to loose.

Back