Gov Spring

nate

I picked up a gov spring kit, 3k/4k.

Should I leave it at the 3k, or go to 4k? I have no need to rev that high... but....

Was reading that the 4k springs are harder to tune/touchy throttle??

Need 60lb valve springs??

well you just have to make sure that your kit comes with all the springs. If you kit doesn't come with the largest spring you have to utilize the one that is in your pump currently which is the idle spring. Truck should idle just like it has always idled as long as you get all the springs where they are suppose to be. 4K springs won't fuel hard all the way to 4k under a load but I think that anything turning over 4k should have hd valve springs imo.

So if I hold it to the floorboard with the 4k spring, it will do 4000 rpm, is that correct??

I was just asking cause sometimes things are called something and aren't literally that. I take it the 3k springs are higher than that right?? Cause I can hit 3000 rpm right now. Truck is 100% bone stock, never been touched.

I was just asking cause sometimes things are called something and aren't literally that. I take it the 3k springs are higher than that right?? Cause I can hit 3000 rpm right now. Truck is 100% bone stock, never been touched.

Right, you can HIT 3000RPM with the stock truck, but it is definitely not getting full fuel at 3000RPM.

You can get close to about 3500RPM out of a 3K GSK, but it isn't fully fueling that high.

4Ks are the same concept, I've seen 4500RPM with 4Ks, but they aren't giving much fuel up there.

If you plan on using anything over 3500-3700RPM consistently, I would highly recommend a set of billet retainers & keepers, let me know if you need a set.

Thanks, but I'm not doing anything crazy to this truck. It's just an old "beater" that I'm trying to get a little more juice out of. I will put the 3k spring in and call it done. I pushed the stock fuel plate all the way forward, going to bump the timing to 16* and that's pretty much it.

3gsk is touchier to drive than your stock and 4gsk is even more so, you get used to it but it is a pain to drive normaly in a stick truck like mine, deffinatly different, my idle didnt change but just a 1/16th throttle and it has plenty of fuel. i didnt like the 4k in mine to touchy for my likes so i put the 3k in and just got used to it now i dont mind the responsivness and the power is there all the way to 3k. the 4k had even more power even down low like under 2k rpms btu too jumpy.

Thanks for the input. I am used to my 525hp 24v so the old 160hp 12v isn't too much to write home about right now :hehe:

I'm going to to the 3k spring just to keep in on the cheap and not have to do other mods to support it.

Got the springs today from Rip, might work on it tonight.

Back